B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Taking Cat Out????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

wow. now you're just as cool as a civic tard. this got you no extra power, just more noise and fuel smell. congrats.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by esandes
wow. now you're just as cool as a civic tard. this got you no extra power, just more noise and fuel smell. congrats.
Awesome post, not only did you not read the thread, you didn't get the point. If you knew what a 3.0L sounded like you wouldn't say retarded things you know absolutely know nothing about. He isn't trying to get extra power, and taking out a resonator won't get you a gas smell. Worst post i have read all year, congradulations to you sir. In case you didn't get it, HE DIDN'T GUT THE CATS!!!!

As for the sound, you either have an exhaust rattle or the mufflers you have are already a loud breed. You can weld in a set straight through resonators (you can get at any exhaust shop) to tone down the raspy sound if thats what it is. A set of cheap resonators will run you less than $100 in most cases. I would check for any loose clamps or broken brackets on the exhaust first though. I haven't ever been able to get a raspy sound out of a 3.0L, even on straight pipes, so i don't understand why it would be that.

Last edited by auditech79; 11-17-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 AM

Yea im not sure what it is, and it happens a lot the when pipes are cold. Ill take a look today to see if there's anything loose ect. The exhaust does sound good. but its like i said when i roll down my back windows and if i Floor it to 5 1/2 - 6 rpm its not like a metal rattle but a shitty noise coming out of the exhaust. I Have straight pips on it now like you told me to do.. but if i was to put a shitty pair of resonators on what would that accomplish? you think my car would DEF sound different?

Thank you for you Say Also about That A**.... People need to understand that the point of a Forum is to ready EVERYTHING and to try and Find an answer to your Questions. If that means to try different Methods then so be it..

And as for you esandes you don't belong to be on this site! Grow up and try to help people out!That's what a Forum is for Di&k HEAD

Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
Originally Posted by esandes
Worst post i have read all year, congradulations to you sir.
+1 Way to contribute, esandes.

Anyways, do you have a sound clip of your exhaust, Mikeeace?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 PM

im actually going to make a video tomorrow post it on youtube and then post the http on here ill do it asap

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Site Moderator

Yes a set of resonators is designed to eliminate drone and that raspy sound if it developes in your exhaust. It will quiet it down a pinch, but you don't want to have that nasty sound towards redline.
Back in the day when i had my SRT-4 i remember that it had two glasspack like resonators in line as the stock exhaust, thats what gave it that gargle noise everyone seemed to like. (even if they won't admit it) From experience with my A4, one muffler or resonator usually isn't enough if you're trying to get a good toned sound, one muffler is generally beefy to down right loud. For instance if you have a set of larger magnaflow mufflers (longer chamber) it would sound completely different than it does now. Since yours is getting raspy at redline i would imagine it has a very short chamber, in which case adding a resonator to each pipe would be feasable.

Last edited by auditech79; 11-19-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by auditech79
Awesome post, not only did you not read the thread, you didn't get the point. If you knew what a 3.0L sounded like you wouldn't say retarded things you know absolutely know nothing about. He isn't trying to get extra power, and taking out a resonator won't get you a gas smell. Worst post i have read all year, congradulations to you sir. In case you didn't get it, HE DIDN'T GUT THE CATS!!!!
yeah it was an awesome post, thanks. it still holds true. his intentions were clear in his 1st post. maybe it sounded bad because he tinkered with a perfectly fine exhaust to begin with.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator

^^^^^ The stock exhaust on a 3.0L sounds horrid. Slapping a set of magnaflow mufflers on the back with the stock 3.0L resonators almost doesn't change the sound at all. Now you're car with the 2.0T sounds completely different when changing the rear muffler and leaving the resonator in because its 1/4 the size of the 3.0L's. But im sure you are the kind of person that likes to initiate class warfare and say thats what the $1,000 APR exhaust is for blah blah blah.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

In a sense I agree with esandes. Loud or throaty exhaust is or should be for cars with real power (they can back up their bark with real performance) or for motorcycles (loud pipes actually do save lives). Loud exhaust on a car that gets worked by most minivans on the road is laughable. There's a couple b6's around my area with loud exhaust. I'm embarrassed for them...all bark no bite.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM

The Car sounds Great, i wanted to get a nice sound out of my car, then from what i was getting from the stock Mufflers. Im not looking to pull up next to a mini van Rev up my engine and Race. If i wanted to race and sound all Bad *** i wouldn't have bought a 3.0 A4. Again this site is to help each other out not wast mine and your time to read Bull ****.

And i did video tape my exhaust so you can hear it JeffM03 but its not very clear. Im going to try a couple of other Cam and get back to you...

Quick Reply: Taking Cat Out????