B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Turn Signals Osciallate Between Right and Left

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Default Turn Signals Osciallate Between Right and Left

This is a very odd problem that I'm having difficulty diagnosing.

I have a 2002 Audi A4 that I recently purchased. It's in pretty perfect condition, except for this turn signal business. Every now and then (several times per drive), when I activate either turn signal (fully clicked into position, not just holding it for a lane change), my turn signals oscillate (on tempo, neither too fast nor slow) and then fix themselves - they'll blink left, right, left, right, left, left, left...

I've been pulled over once already for improper signaling. No ticket, but still.

I'm not a car guy, so I don't really even know where to start finding the problem. Any ideas? The ECU has been upgraded, although not by me and I do not know which unit he selected. Could that be the culprit?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like the turn signal relay. Dont know where its at on your car, however. You can turn it on and listen for it though.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 AM
3rd Gear

You know if you just move your clicker to the position it'll click 3 times on its own, without locking it or holding it in place, if you move it the other way it'll finish the clicking and then go on to the other side on its own. But if you're just moving the arm to one side and your lights are still blinking both sides I would check the relay (clicker) thingy.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

You know if you just move your clicker to the position it'll click 3 times on its own
Yes, I do know this. Its actually a pretty smart feature.

Sounds like the turn signal relay. Dont know where its at on your car, however. You can turn it on and listen for it though.
I have tried to listen to see if i can notice anything at all, but like I said, the oscillation is on tempo - there isn't any perceiveable audio problem with the click of the relay.

if you move it the other way it'll finish the clicking and then go on to the other side on its own
Are you saying that it would oscillate? That is the problem that I have - when I select the left signal change position it'll do this:

L R L R L L L L ...

It sounds like if we think its an automatic three-blinks thing, then, as you said, wouldn't it "finish and go on to the other side on its own" ?

What might I do to help diagnose if this is the relay or not?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

I got a L, L, L, then R, R, R, nothing in between. Try changing the clicker or look in your fuse box make sure that all fuses are fully inserted.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
I have tried to listen to see if i can notice anything at all, but like I said, the oscillation is on tempo - there isn't any perceiveable audio problem with the click of the relay.
Heh.. I ment listen for the relay so you can find it and swap it out.

The other thing it could be is the switch in the stalk itself.