B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

VAG-COM in South Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default VAG-COM in South Texas?

Does anyone have VAG-COM in South Texas?
I've had to keep a car in storage for too long. car still has rough idle...
I'm located in Kingsville and not many shops in the area can work on Audi/VW.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 PM
4th Gear

I know a guy that has a vagcom but not sure if he has rates on scanning or not. There is a few shops in corpus that can scan but also charge. I know of a place bayauto service that charges 75 just to scan. But if u take the car to autozone or advance or wherever they will scan for free its a simple scan but can get u the codes u need to know.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Pa4ul,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have used Autozone's scanner before. the codes only confirm the misfiring that is occurring. I have replaced many audi coils... I am thinking coil fouling are a symptom of a larger problem (perhaps low compression, etc...) rather than the problem.

I cannot drive the vehicle for large distances so I'll have to tow it to a garage. I occasionally run the vehicle at home when start up is good without misfires. I noticed this weekend a loss in my engine coolant.
I refilled the reservoir to a precise reference level. I'll run engine and monitor those levels to confirm if bad head gaskets could be the problem....

below i provide some history on this forum thread last year:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...ighlight=chito

Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

just out of curiousty but have u checked for vac leaks. Maybe a nipple crackerd on the check valve and it sucking and getting vaccume and then losing it and causing the random misfire. . . as for the coolant lose have u checked ur flange in the rear part of the engine. if there is white crap on top of the trany then ur flange is probably leaking.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I've replaced one check valve... the one right behind the engine.

I've also changed most of the audi hose clamps with screw hose clamps when I checked for vacuum leaks especially on the smaller hoses. I've also tried using a tube to check hoses/connections and listen for vacuum leaks... nothing at this time.

I will look for the white deposits that you suggest.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

I looked at the flange between the engine and the firewall. I did not see any evidence of any discharge at the temperature sensor. the flange and area below are clear of white material/deposits from coolant leaks.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM
4th Gear

and thats cuz u said u verified the maf is working correctly right. is your mil light flashing or no. HAve u inspected the stock dv to make sure its not cracked or nothing. Most of the time studdering can be narrowed down to either a vac leak or bad icm?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

maf was inspected and cleaned. mil ??? cel is solid and not flashing. dv ???
Icm - ignition control module ???

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

ok, dv is the diverter valve.

I found it behind the radiator, passenger side, w/ three hoses attached - 2 large and 1 small.

I just took a quick look and the general area is covered with an light coating of oily residue. not heavily, just centralized in the area. hmmm, if this valve carries/recirculates vapors/combustion air then it might be the source of the residue... and the problem with rough idle/misfires..

i'll remove the valve tomorrow morning, inspect it and if damaged replace...

thanks...

Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

the nipple on the valve might have cracked. Most audi parts are prone to crackage over time due to heat and oil. and sorry bout the abreveation just being lazy. Cuz i know when cell flashes that is most of the time coil packs. If its solid and ur getting rough idle then its either a vac leak or ur ignition control module isnt working properly.

Quick Reply: VAG-COM in South Texas?