B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Water pump failure to misaligned timing to bent valves?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Water pump failure to misaligned timing to bent valves?

Have a 1.8T early 2005 B6 that stalled on the freeway we found out due to failed water pump. So I decided to replace the timing belt with the water pump. Now about a month later the car has more issues - low compression, head gasket leaking exhaust into coolant, engine cranks from low compression. I took it to a different mechanic and he said it's possible the timing belt may have slipped when the water pump failed which may have lead to bent valves and thus low compression. Now to fix this is 4500+ and that's basically the end of my car right there Question, could a failed water pump lead to this and is it common?

Well if it's going to cost that much I'm not going to fix it so now I'm wondering what to do about selling. I don't know much about fixing so parting the car probably won't work. Question, should I sell this car whole and who/where would buy this? Or what's the best option? Everything else in the car is great - 136k miles, just replaced waterpump, timing belt, fuel pump, coolant flange and reservoir, brakes!!

I'm heartbroken as I loved this car and will truly miss it and I would much rather pass it on to someone who would appreciate it than give it up to the mechanic for almost nothing.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

Some missing information; was the failed pump seized? Teeth stripped off the belt, etc?
If the camshaft stopped while the crankshaft was turning, yes, some valves are sure to be bent. But $4,500 to replace the head? That sounds pretty outrageous. I would look for a reputable source of Audi cylinder heads and buy one. There has to be lots available. Then check with VW/Audi shops if you don't change it yourself.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Not sure of the details because I wasn't driving but from what I heard from the mechanic the gear likely skipped a little when the water pump went causing bent valves? Not sure if teeth were stripped. Because of the head gasket leaking exhaust into coolant and I guess general work involved to replace valves the cost is that high.