B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

What Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Question What Is This?

There is a "box", aluminum or alloy, on the right side of the 1.8t engine, in front of the turbo bracket. It is the first thing back from the front. It has a rubber hose about 3/4 inch going to the intercooler supply hose. It measures 2 " by 8" by 1 ". It bolts onto the side of the block with 4 bolts.

I could not get a good picture as it is buried, unless I went into service position or maybe took out air cleaner box and headlight assembly.

I have looked at engine diagrams and found none that show this part. I would search but that is not helpful as I do not know what to search for.

My interest is that the box or the hose seems to be leaking.

Any ideas from more experienced folks?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by MyFreeAudi; 09-19-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: change to "intercooler supply hose"
Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 PM
1st Gear
Question "Resonator"?

Here is a link to the 1.8t engine hose diagram which is available lots of places.

https://www.audiforum.ca/a4-b6-typ-8.../#&gid=1&pid=4

Schematically, the part I need to know about is 1. Resonator. Searching for "resonator" gives lots of exhaust system hits but no hits on this part.

My problem is there is an oil leak somewhere but if the "resonator" is a dead end, it should not have oil in it. The oil could come from a leaking hose and thus from the turbo which I hear is common.

I will investigate further.

Any thoughts?