B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Wind Shield Wipers dont work... or MY horn =(

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Wind Shield Wipers dont work... or MY horn =(

SO a long time ago, approx 3 months, I was sitting in my car eating some In n Out late at night. I was in a dark parking lot grubbin down, i just so happen to drop a piece of metal into my cigarette lighter.. all of a sudden it shorts out.. not only the cigarette lighter but the car begins flipping out.. MY HORN was blaring, both windsheild wipers were going crazy spraying fluid, the headlight sprayers were blasting out water and in the mean time I'm sitting like a deer in headlights, not knowing WTF to do. lol
soo needless to stay my meal was ruined, lol, but i ripped out all the appropriate fuses. First the horn, then the wiper system and the cigarette lighter fuse as well.. The cigarette lighter fuse was toast, so was the horn. But the wipers was not. I replaced all the fuses for good measure.
The cigarette lighter is the only thing that started to work again after I replaced the fuses. The horn, blahh nothing, the wind shield wipers, both front and back nothing, even the wind shield sprayers dont work. I refilled the fluid cuz they ended up nearly emptying the reservoir during its fit but still nothing...
So I am stumped. I know about relays and stuff but truthfully have no idea where to find such items on my car. lol
Fuses are easy, but im not comfy with much more than that..
My car is a 2005 A4 Avant Q, 3.0.. no Nav but i think everything else... not an s-line either, im not sure if any of this info will pertain in any way but ohh well.
So if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears..

Thanks Mike
AIM-layinlowon22s

Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator

You need a central electrics control module. Take the panel off under the steering wheel, right next to the fuse box you will see a grey control module with about 4 circuit breakers attached to the top of it. Relase the two 10mm bolts (you might need to remove the fuse box) and get the module out of there. Go to the dealer with the part number and buy yourself a new one. You need a VAG COM in order to code the new control module, so if you don't have a VAG COM you need to get one. www.ross-tech.com

Old 10-04-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

wow, that is some extremely useful information!. thank you soooo much.
the rainy season is approaching and i need to get this fixed asap. THANKS AGAIN.
Not to be too annoying but what does the module cost approximately?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

so i dont know enough about audis to actually want to use a VAG com, unless its fairly simple, i can operate computers just fine, in fact pretty well actually. so if its just a matter of simple computer operations im sure i could handle that. or do you suggest seeing a professional service place?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM
1st Gear

update,, got a new electronics control module from ebay.uk
good deal, like 200, instead of the 450 dealer price. i just need to hook her up to the vag com and get the coding correct. everything is back to working order.
i think my horn is toast but atleast she makes noise now.. prolly gunna get some air horns anyways.
and the wipers are working chill to, just like normal, which is good right now cuz its starting to rain in so cal.
the lights have some issues that i hope will be straightened out when i goto the shop and see what the tech guy says. plug it in and see what can be done.
ummm.. im stoked i was able to somewhat fix my car. its in need of a lil more tech love but its mechanically legit again.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

The same thing happend to me today!!... So u tellin me I have to buy another ECU?!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
4th Gear

This is one of the best uses of the search button that I've seen in quite some time.

To answer your question, no. The ECU is in the engine bay and pretty much runs the engine. The ECM is behind the cover under the steering wheel.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Lol, thanks. I was up all night seaechin, lol.