B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Windshield washer fluid leak under headlight washer, passanger side?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Windshield washer fluid leak under headlight washer, passanger side?

Just noticed I was low on the windshield washing fluid so I went and filled it back up. As soon as I got done pouring the new bottle in the tank, I hear a dripping. It was actually a steady stream that was leaking from under my passenger side headlight washer. I removed the headlight as I thought it may have just been a loose hose that I could attach, but it is actually under the headlight washing unit itself. Have no idea what the leak is, or how to repair it, but a full jug of the fluid runs through the leak in about 15 minutes. Here are some pictures for reference (the piece with the yellow dot on the front), any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Windshield washer fluid leak under headlight washer, passanger side?-img_4095.jpg   Windshield washer fluid leak under headlight washer, passanger side?-img_4096.jpg   Windshield washer fluid leak under headlight washer, passanger side?-img_4097.jpg   Windshield washer fluid leak under headlight washer, passanger side?-img_4100.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

It almost looks like the housing itself is cracked. I've seen and heard about hoses cracking and becoming brittle over time, but never the motor assembly itself.

You will most likely have to pull your bumper cover for further inspection, but I'm going to say it really looks like part of the assembly that's leaking rather than a hose leading to it.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
It almost looks like the housing itself is cracked. I've seen and heard about hoses cracking and becoming brittle over time, but never the motor assembly itself.

You will most likely have to pull your bumper cover for further inspection, but I'm going to say it really looks like part of the assembly that's leaking rather than a hose leading to it.

It's coming from directly underneath the plastic piece, maybe about center? I wasn't able to get a clear view of the exact area it was leaking from, but I put my hand under it and could feel it was just about the middle of it.

Any chance it could be patched up rather than replaced? Don't know how much pressure builds up in those, but I would really hope there is some kind of sealant I can use instead of paying hundreds to fix the thing up just so I can clean my windshield every now and then.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

No need to pull the bumper, just remove the headlight assembly and everything is at your fingertips. Good thing, too, as just when I thought for sure I would be buying a new pump due to a crack (like I had in my B5) I found all I needed was some new rubber grommets. Lesson learned: don't go in with a solution, look around for the problem first. If, in fact, your reservoir is cracked, a little bit of plastic welding with a low power soldering iron could go a long way.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

just plug the line out to the headlight cleaners. do you really need those, or is it just German over engineering? kill it and move on. many more things will break. cheers