B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2006 Audi A4 Issues / Need Help / EVAP Leak + Weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:24 AM
1st Gear
Default 2006 Audi A4 Issues / Need Help / EVAP Leak + Weird

*** This is a 2006 Audi 2.0T Quattro ***

Ok the cars check engine light came on I got it diagnosed by a tech and it came back as an EVAP Leak and also that I needed to change fuel pressure regulator.

The car starts, drives and I have been driving it for the past 3-4 months no problems. * WHENEVER I GO AND FILL UP AT THE GAS STATION IT ALSO TAKES ABNORMALLY LONG TO START *. What can I do to fix this? Should I just fork over the $150 to have a Audi dealership look at it or could someone help guide me in the right direction..

When I just start the car and drive it at lower speeds it kind of feels like the car is reving slightly up and down while maintaining the same speed. It goes away after I increase the speed, but at slow speeds sometimes it will idle up and down it feels like ( just a hint, but I noticed it ).

Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 AM
1st Gear

Also I just bought this car 5 months ago, so how do I find out if there is a warranty and is anything covered under warranty? I read that the coilpacks were free

Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

What you are describing is the N80 valve. About an $20 part that is easy to change. Google for install instructions

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES3102559/...ujQaAvov8P8HAQ

Would need to know codes to help further. Although my first guess would be a possible bad diverter valve. That is about $80 and a little harder to change. I had mine done at the dealer for about $125 to $150 (don't remember exactly how much it was).

As for warranty I doubt anything is covered anymore. Most that were "extend" only cover for certain number of years or mileage. Don't believe coil packs are covered.

Last edited by rhodes991; 05-24-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Thank you a lot for the information! Here is the diagnosis the shop gave me.

" Check engine light is on. Scan test system. small EVAP leak, scan codes po0455, po171, po089, po302 clear codes LARGE EVAP LEAK, LEAN BANK 1, FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, MISFIRE CYLINDER 2 "

Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear

Audi has a customer service action (extended warranty just for those parts) on the fuel system parts that may be causing some of your issues. I believe it covers the low pressure fuel regulator, PCV, intake manifold runner motors, and maybe one other small thing. If you're within the time limit/mileage, they will cover that (once they diagnose it).

You've gotta find that EVAP leak, though. A large leak might be more than just the N80 valve. I had a 1/2" gash in one of my EVAP line that ran along the body rail.

I think this one might be worth paying for a real Audi diagnosis on.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Thank you all very much I already set up an appointment for Tuesday so I will keep you all updated. I know I am new obviously, but maybe my findings will help someone in the future! Thanks again.. ( My stealership is busy busy lol, they could not get me in sooner than Tuesday. I bet they make a killing he said $144 to diagnose the issue, then parts and labor so we will see lol. I feel they are going to crucify me )

Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

My car only has 91,170 miles and its a 2006 so hopefully I get lucky, but he did not even mention any special coverage after I explained to him the issues so I just want to feel comfortable driving the car.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

The EVAP leak could be as simple as a loose gas cap. If it isn't that or the N80 valve you will need to have your lines checked for breaks or if they came off (like the previous poster had). That is where having your own code reader is helpful. I bought a cheap one at Walmart and it helps a lot.

From the codes you could have a bad coil pack as well (they do go out from time to time).

You will also find that sometimes one item can cause multiple codes to appear. I always work from the least expensive to the most expensive. I also search this forum and the web for what others have come across. That really helps to narrow it down. I hate to just throw money at a problem.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by iBlitz
Thank you all very much I already set up an appointment for Tuesday so I will keep you all updated. I know I am new obviously, but maybe my findings will help someone in the future! Thanks again.. ( My stealership is busy busy lol, they could not get me in sooner than Tuesday. I bet they make a killing he said $144 to diagnose the issue, then parts and labor so we will see lol. I feel they are going to crucify me )
Just remember you don't HAVE to let them do anything other than diagnose it. If you fall under the fuel system action, they may cover the diagnostic (depending on how nice they are and what else they do to try and find the leak).

Even if you pay the diagnostic fee, if they give you an estimate of $1k, expect to pay about 60% of that at a decent Euro-indy shop which means you can eat the diagnostic and still come out ahead. If it's something you can do yourself, you'll save even more, but then there will be no guarantee. It's just a judgement call for you and only you can call it.

Good luck and let us know!

Old 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

FYI, my usual shop couldn't find the big EVAP leak (I'm now convinced they didn't try that hard) and I took it to Audi. Payed the diagnosis fee, they found that leak, fixed it, $500 and I'm not too sorry. Sure, I could've saved maybe like $150-200 at the other shop, but since the car was already there and I'd already paid the diagnosis, it was kind of a wash.

Quick Reply: 2006 Audi A4 Issues / Need Help / EVAP Leak + Weird