B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

A4 Auxiliary plug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Default A4 Auxiliary plug?

hi , Im new here and i have a question about my dads 08 a4 avant.
do any a4 have Auxiliary plugs?me and my dad have checked everywhere and cant find it. if there is can someone give me its location,or a picture?

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Site Moderator

Not sure about the 08, but typically no, there is no stereo aux plug.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

my dad and i*

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

with a bit of work, you can have one
i stole this from kraZ4riding on audizine.com

Here's a DIY. .

Installing an AUX input jack for Audi Symphony II+

I did this install on my 2008 A4 SE. I have the Symphony II+ radio. (This is the one without a Cassette, just 6 disc changer in-dash. I also have Sirius Radio, but I disabled it with this install. It can be left enabled with an additional cable I did not purchase.

Parts Needed:
4 Radio removal Keys
Blitzsafe VW/AUX DMX V.5 or other compatible Aux adapter
Enfig shipped this one immediately. http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...UX_DMX_V5.html
Shielded RCA cable long enough to reach from back of radio to location for Aux jack. (I used 6 feet I think, but you will be cutting one end off anyway so you can shorten as needed. (RadioShack)
3.5mm (1/8) Panel mount phone jack (RadioShack) http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103451

Optional

SatPass Cable: If you want to retain the satellite radio you need to purchase an additional cable. I did not care about having Sirius so I did not do this step. I understand you need to run one end of the cable all the way back to the sat receiver in the trunk area. Can’t comment on how to route that wire easily.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...AT_PASS_2.html

Other:
Zip Ties
Heat Shrink Tubing
Soldering Gun/Solder
Wire cutters/strippers
Electric Tape
Proper cables/charger for your audio player
**For my Ipod I have a Belkin Adapter that has an Audio out on the base of the plug, so I needed a very short cable to go from the cigarette lighter to the jack I installed. I bought the shortest one I could find and then cut it even shorter, soldering the wires back together and sealing off with the shrink wrap tubing, for a clean look with out wires all over.

Preparation of RCA Cable:
Measure enough RCA cable to get from the back of the radio to wherever you are going to place the jack. There is enough room to tuck away some extra so don’t go too short.
Leave one end intact with the red and black ends then cut off the other ends.
Solder the 3.5mm jack onto the newly cut ends. There will be 4 wires. 1 Right, 1 Left, and 2 Neutral.
Combine the neutral wires to 1 pole and then the R and L to their respective positions. The jack was clear on the bottom so you can see where to connect the wires.
Tape the connections tightly so nothing will come lose later.
Set the cable aside

Installing the AUX Jack in Console below armrest next to power outlet:
Remove the ashtray from the back seat and look in that hole
Remove the armrest by taking off the one nut you see straight ahead. Don’t drop it!
Armrest should lift straight up. If you have the phone cradle you have to unplug 2 wires.
I also added a power outlet inside my armrest while I was at it, but that would be another DIY (photo in my gallery)
With armrest removed reach in the hole and unclip the wire from the back of power outlet.
The panel with the power outlet and felt area pops upward. Feel around under there and you will find the clips. I think it might have lifted off front edge first, but can’t recall.
Be patient and gentle it will come out without breaking.
Drill a small hole for the Panel mount 3.5mm jack next to the power outlet.
Screw the jack into place; it should end up pretty much flush.
Snake the other end of the RCA cable downward towards the passenger seat and then run it towards the front.
I just tucked the wire up between the plastic and carpet.
Bring the wire all the way to the front passenger foot area and then wait for the next step.

Installing the Adapter to the radio:
Remove the radio using the 4 removal keys.
Place a towel or something over gear shift area to prevent any scratching of radio or interior.
Push the red and black ends of the RCA cable up under the plastic by the passengers left foot until you can reach them from behind the radio
Plug the ends onto your BlitzSafe adapter. (I taped them as well so they would not get pulled off later)
Connect the adapter to the back of the radio per the instructions with the adapter.
Don’t forget the ground wire that attached to the radio casing.
Push the radio back a little and find a place to secure your new adapter. I found some metal to Zip Tie it to, so it would not move around.
Push the radio back in til all 4 corners click into place.
Snap the power outlet part with your new AUX jack back into place
Reinstall the Armrest

Operation:
Plug your audio source into the new 3.5mm jack.
Turn on your radio and press CD twice. It will display CD7 Track 99 and music should be streaming.
Note: My adapter has a line-out volume control; make sure you turn up the volume on your device as needed to send audio to the radio. I recommend setting it about half way then use the radio or steering wheel to control the volume.

Finished Product:
Name:  user36236_pic3155_1233250693.jpg
Views: 18506
Size:  31.3 KB
Radio when in AUX mode:
Name:  user36236_pic3157_1233250693.jpg
Views: 16954
Size:  19.9 KB

Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM

do you know anything about the 2006 ones?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to revive this thread, another newbie here / i'm curious, I see that you plugged it into the CD changer port on the headunit, can I use the same V5 Enfig connector and plug it into the SAT port instead? I don't have sirius/xm, but figure that I can use an AUX instead? I do have that part though right? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

so what button do you press to access the AUX?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

if you have the factory ipod hookup, you can use a Grom Audio ipod cable to use any mp3 player or phone. it plugs into the ipod connector and has a 3.5mm headphone jack on the end. and its less than $30

Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Certified

What do you need an aux for....?

There is a kit for an ipod. trying to install a microphone for some karoake...?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
What do you need an aux for....?
I would want aux vs just ipod to be able to plug in my phone as a music player to stream grooveshark, youtube, or occasionally my laptop to watch a movie or something with better audio while say waiting for a friend to come out of their house when picking them up etc.

Quick Reply: A4 Auxiliary plug?