B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Backs of front seat falling off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Here is a write up I just did. You actually don't have to purchase new clips or a new lumbar system. Did it all for under $20.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/int...6/#post1439081

Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar issue over a year ago with my 2008 A6 and the dealer wanted $300 for a kit to repair. I went to an upholstery repair shop (4th one I visited) and he used some sort of glue that sorta holds it, but now the other seat is coming apart.. I owned an old Chevy for 25 years and never had this issue...

Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Front Seat Back Panel

2007 Audi A4 - Front seats back panels falling off. Cleaned old glue off and tried gorilla glue epoxy and E6000 so far, but neither worked. Heavy Duty Double sided tape does't work either. JB Weld worked for someone and liquid nail got mixed reviews so I'll try JB Weld or 3M rubber/gasket adhesive next. If all else fails maybe velcro.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

All of the glue/tape solutions failed for me as well. I live in the deep South so the heat just annihilates anything.

I ended up buying replacement seat backs from WolfAutoParts.com for $50 each shipped. They look brand new & snapped right in.

Our part # is the same as an A6 from the same era: 4F0881969A

They usually have one or two, just ask and they can help, too. Great folks.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Seat backs coming apart

Thanks for the Wolf Auto Parts connection, but they only carry the sku in black. I need Amaretto for my A6.. I'll keep searching. I asked my Audi dealer since mine is not an isolated issue and I'm surprised of how many Audis even newer than my '08 have this problem, if there has been a recall. The service manager said no, it's not deemed a safety hazard.. BS big time

Old 07-31-2015, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I'd keep checking with Wolf and sign up for their email newsletter because they always email out when they get a new part vehicle in.

I had to wait a while too, but the money saved was worth it and the solution much better than more glue! Good luck!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Thanks I appreciate the support.. There was a posted with detailed DIY steps and I may try that in the meantime.. Nothing to lose

Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 09 Q7 both front seats are falling off also

I can see where a thin film of yellow upholstery adhesive was used at some point to glue this on but it's only on the outer edges of tombstone shaped back. I got the car 2nd hand so I don't know all of its original history.

It's a great car that is easy to work on for me so far. I'm going to talk to my trim shop buddy and see what he suggests as well. I'm willing to bet it will be the 3M stuff. The plastic side would best prepped with acetone after cleaning old glue as I am told this helps the glue penetrate into outer surface of the plastic by kinda starting to melt it a hair. My friend usually does this to plastic and resin based pieces right before he applies glue. I know scuffing up the surface helps bonding agents as well. This problem exists for a lot of Audi models it would appear.

I'm working on my way through the car front to back. Just got the MMI straight without any monetary output which was nice. There has to be a simple cheap solution to this commons issue which likely plagues about a decades worth of cars at this point.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

I will have to try this. I have a 2010 Audi A6 3.0T and the backs started slipping 4 weeks after my purchase. Frustrating.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redcon1
I used 3M Interior Trim Adhesive and it's held for over a year.
I prepped the surface by scraping the old glue (not sure if factory, or the original owner had tried to fix) and cleaned the surfaces with alcohol.
Any auto parts store should have the 3M stuff.
Hey there.....how did you clamp the seat back until it dried?
Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Backs of front seat falling off