B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Bluetooth Resource Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Max# of Phonebook Entries: 500
Max# of Phones: 4

After the initial bluetooth sync, allow the car to run for 3-5 minutes to allow the full phonebook download (yes they are stored in the car) after which the subsequent times the phone connects it recognizes the unique handshake with that phone and uses that phone's phonebook it downloaded on initial setup. The phonebook contacts are unique to each phone separately.

It's not by driver, it's whichever phone the Audi connects to first.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Talking Audi R8 MMI interface with bluetooth

My iphone phonebook shows up on the MMI screen after it syncs via bluetooth. However, I cannot get it to dial the numbers from the phonebook via the MMI screen. But if I manually enter the numbers into the directory I can dial them via the MMI without any problem....? Has anyone else had this problem??? Is there a software update for the MMI to correct the problem..?? It doesn't make sense that you can display your phonebook but can't dial numbers from it directly...

Old 08-09-2009, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by prospero
Couldn't find a similar thread about it so I thought I'd start it.

I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro w/ Bluetooth, Bose Symphony Stereo & XM Sat. Radio, but NO NAV.

Official Audi Website:
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/t...luetooth_.html

How do to find out if you have bluetooth:
The surest way to tell is to remove the lower trim panel at the bottom where the driver-side door is and pull the carpet up and you should see a black box. the module and antenna is in the box.
If you have the technology package, you have it.

Check to see if you have a cradle interface in the bottom of your armrest. (not necessarily required)

How to connect to bluetooth:
- Switch on the ignition
- Switch on your cell phone and, if needed, enter the correct PIN
- Select the menu option on the cell phone which looks for Bluetooth-capable devices (pairing mode)
- Connect the cell phone to the cell phone package you find (Audi UHV XXXX)
- Enter the Bluetooth PIN for the cell phone package within 30 seconds. The Bluetooth PIN is 1234 (also known as the pairing code).
- Wait until your cell phone shows that the connection has been established.

Phonebook
Once it's connected, allow 1-2 minutes for it to sync the phonebook. After 1-2 minutes, press the mode button on the left of the steering wheel, it should go to the first contact in your phonebook. If after 5 minutes it still says "Please Wait" your phonebook might not be compatible.
/P: private phone number
/W: work phone number
/M: mobile phone number
Max# of Phonebook Entries: 500
Max# of Phones: 4
When the fifth phone is added, the phone that has been inactive the longest is disconnected.

Do you need a cradle?
No. Bluetooth is a wireless protocol, the cradle allows for the charging of the phone, that's it. It may minimally improve signal, but not guaranteed, plus the cradles are not made for newer phones and can be expensive.

Compatibility List
Samsung Alias SCH–u740 (works + phonebook) *not listed on Audi*
Samsung SCH i760
LG Chocolate (works + phonebook)
Apple iPhone (works + phonebook)
Motorola V750 (works + phonebook)

*in theory the bluetooth should work with any cell phone that has bluetooth capability, but not all phonebooks are guaranteed to work*

Bluetooth® Compatibility/Audi Phone Preparation with Bluetooth (35 kB)
http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0040.File.pdf

What to do if the bluetooth sounds are too loud/soft?
WHILE you hear the voice or tone, use the volume control on the steering wheel to adjust the volume of that voice or tone.

OEM Installation
http://www.audiforum.us/multimedia/2...n-audi-a4.html

Does anyone know if this was an available option on the 2005 model?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

2005.5 B7 yes, 2005 B6, don't think so.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

I have bluetooth in my '07 A4 quattro. It works perfectly when I make phone calls, very convenient. It's mated to my Blackberry Bold quite nicely. However, when I activate Pandora radio or CBS radio in the phone, the bluetooth doesn't pick up the music and play it over the speakers. I tried everything, mainly with the phone..all bluetooth options are activated. I just don't understand why voice is picked up but not music.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

It's a phone feature, not a music feature, they are completely different. The bluetooth receiver is not part of the sound system, it only uses the speakers to output the sound from the phonecall, not meant to be used to stream music over. To do that you'll have to get an aftermarket sound system head unit that has bluetooth, or the Audi iPod adapter to use it with the sound system.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

I have bluetooth connection in my 07 A4Q. I just don't understand why it will transmit phone conversations but not streaming music (like Pandora) through my blackberry. Please help/comment?

Joe

Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, Prospero. I think I will go the route of satellite radio then. I am on the lookout for an XM or Sirius module which can be installed in my A4. There is none now, but I do have the "Sat" button in the receiver. It's just that it costs about $500 from the dealer plus about $200 to install! I've been trying to find one through EBay and other sources, no luck so far.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 PM

To those wondering about the streaming music:

Bluetooth devices create a piconet in order to transfer information. Each device can support different Bluetooth "Profiles". These profiles include: Handsfree, Headset, A2DP(more on this one), OPP, SPP, DUN etc., and provide the architecture for each device on how to handle data.

What both devices (phone and car BT module) need to support for pandora to work properly is A2DP which is the audio distribution profile that allows streaming audio. I am not sure if the Audi BT kit supports this or not as I have not looked in to the specs, and am not sure which model phone you have to look up either.

The profile usually used with BT car kits is HFP or hands free profile. If either device does not support A2DP but both do support HFP then that is the reason you can hear voice from calls over a BT connection and not the streaming music.

Hope this makes sense

Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Jomaled find the part number specific to your model A4 based on radio features. I bought my '07 A4 used and did a little research to get the right model number receiver then did a google search. I found a used receiver out of a wrecked Audi in a junk yard in PA. I ended up buying it for $170.00 and installed it myself. The install is very easy, just a couple of wires to plug into the unit in the trunk and then move a plug jumper in the passenger seat foot well. There are well documented instructions on this forum, just search for them or you can message me an email address and I'll send you the copies I have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth Resource Thread