B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Brake Switch - Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Default Brake Switch - Faulty

Is this an easy fix? Im short on cash these days and from what i hear this is a $30-40 part. The dealer wants to charge me $200. Does anyone know where a good step by step instructions might exist?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Are you referring to the switch attached to the brake pedal that tells the brakes to light up?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM

If you are then I have added a removal step-by-step process:

I can't seem to get a part number for the switch.

HTH

Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Default Thanks!

That’s exactly the switch I was talking about.
Thanks a ton for the instructions.
This looks pretty straight forward. Have you ever done this before?
I haven’t poked around much under there. I hope it’s easy to get to. I imagine that will be the toughest part.

Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM

No. I haven't had to replace one before, but I'm sure it wouldn't take too long. The hardest part will be getting positioned so that you can see AND use your hands. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM

clemsongt thanks for the diagram. very helpful. i tried to just lube the one that is faulty. the brake lights arent staying on anymore but now i have my ABS and traction control lights on in the dash. Does this mean i need to splurge the 5 bucks and buy a new brake light switch? will the new brake light switch turn off those lights, or is this anyother problem?

Old 07-05-2009, 03:22 PM

I would certainly doubt that this switch would have anything to do with ABS or traction control. This switch is simply there to know when to turn the brake lights on. Definitely not an expert in this area though.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM

I went to dealership today to buy the new brake light switch. On the way there I had my ABS and traction control lights on and as well as the car just didn't seem to spool up as normal while accelerating through 1st and 2nd gears. Bought the $4 switch and installed it in the parking lot. After installation, all lights went off and the acceleration seemed to be back to normal. My thoughts were that possibly the brake light switch is part of the circuit for the ABS and traction control. Which means if one of these switches go out, you disconnect the circuit. At the end of the day, my brake lights don't stay on when my car is off.

2004 A4 1.8T Quattro

Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by cwright
I went to dealership today to buy the new brake light switch. On the way there I had my ABS and traction control lights on and as well as the car just didn't seem to spool up as normal while accelerating through 1st and 2nd gears. Bought the $4 switch and installed it in the parking lot. After installation, all lights went off and the acceleration seemed to be back to normal. My thoughts were that possibly the brake light switch is part of the circuit for the ABS and traction control. Which means if one of these switches go out, you disconnect the circuit. At the end of the day, my brake lights don't stay on when my car is off.

2004 A4 1.8T Quattro
Did your lights come on in the middle of the night? I have this problem and I was pretty sure that was the issue but I haven't heard much rumbling of this issue before

Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by EP9395
Did your lights come on in the middle of the night? I have this problem and I was pretty sure that was the issue but I haven't heard much rumbling of this issue before
No, my lights would just come on randomly. Like i would look out the window and my brake lights would be on.

Quick Reply: Brake Switch - Faulty