B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Brake Switch - Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Default Getting access to brake light switch?

I have a 2005 A4 2.0T and I purchased a brake light switch as I’m having the same issue.
I saw the instructions for how to replace but I’m having trouble.
How do you remove the driver side storage tray to get access to the switch?
Does anyone have the diagram that shows how to remove the tray?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

I'm getting a loud beep and a yellow "Brake Light" error message display on my dash. During the beep it also says "Centre Brake Light"...the centre brake light works sometimes which leads me to believe that it isn't the light itself (but I'm not ruling that out just yet). Could this possibly be a faulty brake switch or being caused from the cold winter weather?

Note: the other two brake lights are working properly and this is a 2005 a6 not an a4

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by lozts; 01-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

My center brake light did go out with similar symptoms. They had to replace the LED panel.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Worked like a charm

Just replaced mine after going through the head ache of unplugging my battery every time I left my car alone for more than 4hrs for the last 3 months - worked great. Easy to do - hardest part was getting the dash back on and aligned correctly around the headlight switch - but I'm ****.

I actually had it in the shop in November, and their electrician turned my car away because he didn't like working on Audi's. Blessings in disguise - who knows what they would have charged me for this 10 minute fix!

Watch for that clutch switch - I accidentally took that one off too, but thankfully it didn't break.

Oh - and DON'T order the part from ECS - they have the wrong part listed for the A4 B7.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

As I stated earlier, the Brake Light is coming on due to the Centre Brake Light not working but as of today, the ESP and the ABS lights are now on as well...does this all point to the brake light switch??

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lozts
As I stated earlier, the Brake Light is coming on due to the Centre Brake Light not working but as of today, the ESP and the ABS lights are now on as well...does this all point to the brake light switch??
lozts - this post was originally on how to replace the brake light switch, sounds like your question should go in a new post or maybe try finding one that match your symptoms. Another user posted saying that they had similar symptoms and had to have the LED panel replaced. Don't know if that helps you.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to say the faulty brake switch thing happened to me with my brake light staying on every night after work. When I researched DIY it seemed like the part was cheap but the procedure not so simple. I had my mechanic do it and glad I did. The part was $28 and I watched him struggle getting his face and hands under the dash, removing a lot of stuff. Unless you enjoy this I recommend having your pro do it. It cost me $50 and 20 min.

Since it would have taken me hours and I would have screwed it up, it was def worth the fifty bucks. I was off to work in no time where I could actually make the dough to fix the rest of my Audi issues, ha!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audibelle
Just wanted to say the faulty brake switch thing happened to me with my brake light staying on every night after work. When I researched DIY it seemed like the part was cheap but the procedure not so simple. I had my mechanic do it and glad I did. The part was $28 and I watched him struggle getting his face and hands under the dash, removing a lot of stuff. Unless you enjoy this I recommend having your pro do it. It cost me $50 and 20 min.

Since it would have taken me hours and I would have screwed it up, it was def worth the fifty bucks. I was off to work in no time where I could actually make the dough to fix the rest of my Audi issues, ha!
I'm beginning to realize that nothing on this car is easy to fix! LOL. I spent a little over an hour this weekend plus a few skinned knuckles changing a dumb headlight bulb--and that was on the EASIER side. Still beat paying Audi $76 to do it, though.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Yes so true. As it happens right after I wrote that my driver side headlight went out too, with that headlight dipped error message. Joy! I read through some of the threads and my head started to spin. Good on you for figuring it out, I haven't looked at it yet. These repairs add up, oy!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audibelle
Yes so true. As it happens right after I wrote that my driver side headlight went out too, with that headlight dipped error message. Joy! I read through some of the threads and my head started to spin. Good on you for figuring it out, I haven't looked at it yet. These repairs add up, oy!
I heard someone say (prior to me buying my A4) that if you can afford to buy two Audis, you can afford to own one. I think they might have been right. Overall, mine's been fairly reliable, but there is definitely a higher cost of ownership on these--even when they're working right. Fortunately, it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Brake Switch - Faulty