B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Cabriolet roof not locking down

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Cabriolet roof not locking down

About 75% of the time, when I open the roof it doesn't close properly. When that happens, the roof will operate normally - until the deck closes. Sometimes, it will go all the way down and lock in place but mostly the locks do not engage properly. The deck ends up resting slightly open. I drive off and get the warning message that the top isn't secure while the operation light continues to flash. Most times, when I get to a traffic light, I can operate the switch again and the deck locks will then engage properly and close the deck all the way. Sometimes, that won't happen and I'll eventually have to use the roof key to lock it properly.Then I have to wait to see if it will go back up again.... mostly, it doesn't, and I'll have to unlock the deck with the key and raise the roof manually... although once I've locked the deck again manually and removed the key I can operate the switch and the final part of the closure will happen automatically. Then I have to wait and see what happens the next time I try to open the roof. I'm wondering if this could be a sensor issue. The hydraulics appear to work fine - except for that final part when the deck is pulled fully closed by the locks. I have taken the motor out and checked the hydraulic fluid and cleaned the brushes but that hasn't made any difference. Any thoughts?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

I had the same thing happen and I had to take the lock mechanism apart and hit with some lubricant. The center section of the roof, where the tool fits in to manually lock it, on mine was all gummed up. Been a while since I did mine so I can't give specifics. Haven't had a problem with it since. The roof at least.