B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Chipping the Audi B7

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Default Chipping the Audi B7

I've been told that I could put in a chip from the dealer and it wouldn't void my warranty. Does an After Market Chip like APR void Audi's warranty? I would also like to know which chip would produce more power, an APR chip or dealership chip. Thank You

Old 05-25-2008, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Chipping the Audi B7

well the nothin really voids the warrenty unless there is a problem with the car that was caused by that part that you added which wasnt stock. APR's chips have a special mode settings where you can basically turn the chip on and off so when you go to get it serviced or what not the dealership can't tell that you have it chipped... thats what i've read on the forums as i've been looking quite a lot at it cuz im interested in getting one soon, probably APR...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

i would never touch APR's stuff. Thats just my opinion though.

I have mine equipeed with GIAC and do not regret it. Had it chipped right after the break in period. MASSIVE difference and throwing up impressive dyno #'s over stock. If you are concerned about voiding the warranty? Check out GIAC and their promise and gurantee, you wont see anything like it from APR

Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

really? i heard that APR and GIAC were both recommended for B7s

Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

And the APR appears to get a lot more bang for the buck, without having to deal with intake and exhaust mods.

Not to mention, in all of my experience I have never found an aftermarket intake that did much of anything but make the car louder. Unless you've got a well meaured, isolated air box with an air inlet feed from the front of the car, a "cold air intake" is usually a piece of **** that sucks in hot air from the engine bay.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

As far as I can see, GIAC's only warranty is the chip itself...

http://giacusa.com/warranty.php

Old 05-25-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Yep.

I've only owned my Audi and been on this forum for less than 2 weeks, and am shocked at the amount of misinformation and overall newness on this forum.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

yes i must agree with you on that one. the B7 forums are not near as good as the B6 or B5 forums are, but i think you have to take it with a grain of salt as they b6's have been out much longer so tey have had much more time to play around with things on their cars and do more experimenting, but even still... the B7s have been out since 2005.5 and its now 2008(.5) and there is still not much activity in the B7 area...

But to 2ndGen.rocket, it has been proven on another thread that no matter what CAI you put on your car, it will not increase your hp/tq at all, and onl the Carbonio and i think EVO CAI keep your hp/tq at stock levels where as other ones tend to reduce the power of the car... however what they do do to the car is make the turbo spool up more audible and along with a chip and new BOV or DV the turbo sounds much nicer and is more audible than stock where you cant really hear it from inside at all

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

there are alot of chips companies out there...i personally have giac x+ file in my 2.0t, i also had the x+ file in my 1.8t before my audi. Both were aggressive files and suited my needs. Apr/revo from what i rear are not as aggressive and go for smoothness while giac is a kick in the butt. Agian from only what i read on the apr/revo files. I love the chip, i wouldn't have it any other day. It really gave my car new life, but i also had the chip installed when i bought the car. In terms of warranty issues. the giac file can be switched to stock with thier reflasher. APR has some kind of built in controller using the cruise control buttons. Either way if you have warranty issues turn switch back to stock and your set. I had my giac on my old 1.8t jetta for 2 years and never had one question about being chipped from my dealer. Also blew a turbo with the chip on and they replaced everything no questions asked. It is quiet hard for a dealer to know your chipped if you have it off when delivered to the dealer. good luck

Old 05-27-2008, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

ya i just went in to the dealership to pick my car up from being serviced and was talkin to one of the tech guys about modding my car and in particular chipping it and he said it was pretty easy to tell if a car had been chipped or not. Now he might have said that to scare me from doing it but i was kinda put off from it as it would ruin my warrenty which still has about 60k miles left on it which is too long for me to wait. The reason i asked about APR is because there is a liscenced dealer near where i live in atl that does this so if i have any problems then i can take it to him rather then having to send it cali or some place like that. Now APR has an on/off switch like you mention the GIAC chips do but i dunno ifAPR chipsare as undetectable as yours is? also when they go to check the problem i have heard that they can see the conditions that your car was under while the problem occured so wouldnt they be able to tell anyways even if you turned off the chip when you brought it to them?

Quick Reply: Chipping the Audi B7