B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Cold air intake for 3.2V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold air intake for 3.2V6?

Hi All!
I've been looking around for a CAI for my b7 3.2 and i have yet to find one. Any ideas?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

Save your money; unless you want extra noise or a "cool look", adding a CAI to your car is worthless.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
Save your money; unless you want extra noise or a "cool look", adding a CAI to your car is worthless.
Dude this is a sticky on the forum:
Cold air intakes, the facts.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vbman11
Dude this is a sticky on the forum:
Cold air intakes, the facts.
Back at'cha dude; if you honestly think the airflow coming into your engine via the factory intake will be reduced in temperature to any significant degee by the installation of a CAI, then I've got a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you. The only "fact" I saw in that thread as it relates to normally aspirated engines is that cold air is more dense than warm air. The thing is, given the fraction of a second the air spends moving from the inlet to the throttle body at any speed above idle, there is no chance for it to pick up any measurable engine bay heat; this of course is another way of saying a CAI won't do diddly for the performance of your car.

Now, if the replacement intake is somehow lower restriction, then you might gain one or two horsepower at WOT at red line; that said, such a gain usually comes at the expense of a bit of mid-range torque. So, how much time to you spend driving around town with your engine wound up to its RPM limit?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
Back at'cha dude; if you honestly think the airflow coming into your engine via the factory intake will be reduced in temperature to any significant degee by the installation of a CAI, then I've got a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you. The only "fact" I saw in that thread as it relates to normally aspirated engines is that cold air is more dense than warm air. The thing is, given the fraction of a second the air spends moving from the inlet to the throttle body at any speed above idle, there is no chance for it to pick up any measurable engine bay heat; this of course is another way of saying a CAI won't do diddly for the performance of your car.

Now, if the replacement intake is somehow lower restriction, then you might gain one or two horsepower at WOT at red line; that said, such a gain usually comes at the expense of a bit of mid-range torque. So, how much time to you spend driving around town with your engine wound up to its RPM limit?
That actually makes quite a bit of sense... Thanks! So instead of a CAI what is your opinion of the first performance mod I should do the my a4?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vbman11
That actually makes quite a bit of sense... Thanks! So instead of a CAI what is your opinion of the first performance mod I should do the my a4?
You may not like this, but my standard answer is, "Driving Lessons". If you spend any time on the track at all, your best bang for the buck, bar none, is lessons on handling a car. Long story short, take any given car, bump the power by say, twenty percent, put it on a track with an above average driver, and then step back and watch it get smoked by the same exact car (no mods), and a trained driver.

If/when the time comes for actual mods to the car, I have dispensed another relatively standard bit of advice over the years, "Instead of dumping a bunch of money on your car for very little gain; sell it and buy a faster car."

By buying a different car you gain three significant advantages over modding the current ride:
1) Modding any given car, even as little as adding a CAI and a CAT-Back, will lower the resale value of said car and yield very little in the performance gain department.
2) Buying a factory stock car with is faster will preserve your investment to a much greater degree.
3) The new car will most likely blow the doors off of the old car, even after it was modded.

Exception to the rule: If you have a car which came from the factory with a turbocharger, then having it "chipped" pretty much contradicts all of what I just said.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Banned

shipo is right. the factory intake system is perfectly fine. unfortunately, the 3.2 doesn't have much room for de-bottlenecks. check APR. they might provide a tune that can provide a bit of extra HP.