B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

DIY B7 A4 Quad Tail Lights MOD retain factory dual fogs no warning light on dash!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
1st Gear
Cool DIY B7 A4 Quad Tail Lights MOD retain factory dual fogs no warning light on dash!

I just posted in another section but the layout on this forum is kinda weird so i thought I'd post here. Okay first off just wanted to say her everyone I am a newbie on this forum but not a noob in the normal sense.
I have searched for hours trying to find a DIY that explains this, on my b7. This DIY is specifically b7 style to have quad taillights without having the fog light out warning, and still keep the rear fogs when you needed them. So I wrote this up on how I accomplished this.

ETA:25 with bathroom break

Tools and parts needed:
6-pack of beer, or 12
Crimper/Cutters
A flat head Screw Driver
two 12v 5pin relays
assortment of wire (at least 4 colors)
t-taps and many male and female end connectors

Now that we have the parts crack open a beer and take the left taillight off. I'm not going to explain this because if you are willing to do this mod then you should be able to remove the taillight.

On the harness for the taillight there are 5 wires each numbered on the plug. Find pin number 1 and t-tap it. Mine was a red with white (red/white) wire. leave the taillight off for now as we will get to it in a minute.

Now we are going to prep the two relays, you can go inside and do this on the couch. There are 5 pins on the bottom of the relay. Im not going to explain hey they all work that's why youtube exists, I will simply tell you which to connect, and how.

We are going to color code this to make it as easy and painless as possible.

Red = 12v source to power up the relay
Black = Ground
Gray = Wire from relay to rear fog light
Yellow = wire from Rear fog switch to Relay
White = Brake Signal

Now why in the tools I said you only need 4 colors? Well since the only reason we want to power up the relay is when we press the brake we can technically use the Brake signal to do both power up the relay and send power for the lights. The only down side to this is the lights wont be a bright as they could potentially be. This is how I have it hooked up though because I didnt want to run a wire the the trunk.

Okay so for the relay there are 5 numbers on the bottom, 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a.
We are going to wire both relays exactly the same

Pin 30 will need the gray wire so put a female connector on both ends of the wire. Yes i said both. (each relay will have its own gray wire with the two female ends on it.)

Pin 85 Is going to need the signal from the brake light. (Instead of running two wires to the taillight harness just have one wire with 2 female connectors and one male. (male is going to be connected to the t-tap the 2 females should be in line relatively close to each other on that one red wire)

Pin 87 is the 12v source you can either run the wire like stated before or in the step before instead of only having 2 females on that one wire you can place 4 on one end and the male on the other. It will accomplish the same thing.

Pin 87a you want the yellow wire the female end on one side and a male on the other.

Pin 86 Is just going to be ground so you just need to put a female end on one side and a male on the other end of the black wire. Like before you can jump this wire so you only need one, just with 3 connectors on it, (2 female, 1 male)

Connect all the female connectors to their respective locations on the 2 relays.

Once this is accomplished tape or shrink wrap it to make it look nice.

Now back to the car. We are going to peel back the left side of the trunk liner, be sure not to break the clips its very easy to do so. Find the wires running from the trunk door to the vehicle. There should be around 4 to 6 wires in that bundle. Test each one and find the corresponding wires for the left and right fog lights. Mine were gray/white and gray/purple. Yours may be different depending on your year or region.

Cut the two gray wires. Placing a male end connector on the sides of the two wires going to the rear fogs and a male connectors on the other end of the wire coming from the switch. Also place a T-tap on the ground wire (brown in my case) that is in that assortment of wire.

Now connect ground male connector to the T-tap.

After this run the red wire to the taillight plug we T-taped earlier, this is by far the hardest part as there is a gromet you have to deal with, but connect that red wire to the T-Tap on 1 one on the taillight harness. Now you should only have 4 wires from the relays remaining, 2 yellows and two grays. As you can see the way I told you to run the connectors they can only plug in one way. just make sure the gray/white and gray/purple wires stay to their own relays don't flip flop them. With those connections done go ahead and get a buddy to press the brake and check to see if all four light up. If they don't work read threw it carefully again. You might have pins 30 and 87a flipped. Don't worry that happens to a lot of people.

Now you can say hell that's it I'm finished, but test something for me. Turn your head lights on and press the brake. You see that light that came on? That's because the relay disconnects the rear fogs and connects them to the brakes instead. Now this is a simple fix, You just need 2 Resistors to fool the computer into thinking the rear fog lights are still installed when your press the brake. You need a 25ohm/25watt resistor. I picked mine up from This site now you can find them yourself but theses have worked great. To install the resistors simply T-tap into the two yellow wires from before and connect each to a resistor, and ground the other end. After you have tested and works perfectly, go ahead and carefully check all the connectors to be sure none are lose and tuck the relays and wires behind the lining of the trunk. And place the taillight back in.

And that's it. If you have any problems let me know, I'm glad to help. I will post photos as soon as I get my Camera back from my friends house. Also I know some of you hate this style of mod legality blah blah, if you don't like the idea then don't try it, but of course I am not responsible to anything you do to your vehicle, but follow my instructions to a Tee and you shouldn't have an issue.

Now when you drive and its foggy you can still pull that for switch all the way out and it will still light up either pressing the brake or not and having the headlights on or off. It's the closest to factory looking mod that gives our cars a little edge. Im sure this mod works on many other VW and Audi models I just posted to this one because this is the vehicle I won. But feel free to share and post it to anyone who wants it. I hope you guys enjoy.