B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Engine cut out just this side of 100mph? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Engine cut out just this side of 100mph? HELP!

Good afternoon,

Let me start out by saying hello, I purchased a 06' A4 2.0 for the wifey back in December (that's what she thinks anyway!). I've been lurkin' from time to time and have learned alot and got some good tips. I just had my 1st issue and I wanted some advice/ideas before I contact the stealership.

So, we took a short road trip this holiday weekend and yesterday on the ride home about 30mins into a 3hr ride... I see a clear flat patch of interstate and hit it! right around 100mph I felt a little like click, or bump in the gas pedal (I don't know if that makes sense)... Seemed kinda like in other cars I've owned when your almost all the way to the floor you push a little harder for passing gear.

Well, the car started slowing down... I backed off the pedal and went for it again... As I was pressing the pedal to accelerate I could see the RPM's reving up but, I was still just coasting and losing speed. I tried nudgin' it into nuetral and then back in D, no go. Finally, at about 60mph it seemed to regain it's power/re-engage... After a few minutes I tried it again and the same thing happened. I'm no spped racer but, have had the car well over 100mph before with no issue. I basically didn't try my luck any harder as I didn't want to be on the side of the road. Everything else seemed to work fine. The cruise was on but not set the 1st attempt, it was off altogether the 2nd attempt.

Sorry for the long winded post but, I'm a little freaked, thinking it's NOT good. I would appreceiate any advice, especially from anyone that has had the same or simuliar problem. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jason

P.S. - I'll post up some pics of the ride this evening, I didn't have any on the work computer! Thanks again.

Last edited by PHAT A$$; 05-26-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 PM

This used to happen to me and nobody knew what it was for 8 months.
Turned out the cam shaft needed to be replaced. Was replaced about a month ago and has cleared up. The issue was a know issue by Audi and covered under warranty. Call Denny Dong at Audi in Mission Viejo California and ask him about my STaSIS A4 if you need information to take back to your dealer. This drove me crazy for 8 and was intermittent and scary! So glad its sorted out.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Dude, thanks so much! We dropped it at the Audi dealership here in Dallas and we should get a call sometime today. I'll see what they say about it and if they don't know I'll definitely call your guy!

Thanks Again,
Jason

Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

I took my A4 to the University Park Audi here in Dallas and they called me yesterday to let me know what the deal is... I have to talk to him again and get the particulars. Basically he lost me at "about $2500.00 in parts plus about that much in labor"!!! After that he might as well have been speaking German cause my brain just locked up! LOL

If I remember at all wanna say it was a turbo inlet and, caused a cam to go as well? We purchased a platnium warranty that covers alot including the turbo but, they are having an adjuster come out from the warranty company to look it over. I'll find out what they cover and don't sometime today. There were a few other things some I can fix or can wait but, overall feel like I got burned on my 1st Audi... 06' 51k miles only had since December and it's got upwards of $6k in repairs needed! I HOPE I'll be glad I purchased the warranty but, I'm affraid they will wiggle out of it somehow.

I'll let ya know what happens.
Jason

Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

This is a really interesting, yet bizzare issue...double check with a dealer what has led up to such diagnosis...There should have been a trouble code stored due to possibility of PCM instability...If it would be camshaft I'm positive there would be much more driving issues than just flooring it to 100 mph
Best of luck...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by leshchuk
This is a really interesting, yet bizzare issue...double check with a dealer what has led up to such diagnosis...There should have been a trouble code stored due to possibility of PCM instability...If it would be camshaft I'm positive there would be much more driving issues than just flooring it to 100 mph
Best of luck...
I'll try to get more info out of him today... My brain literally went to jello after I heard $5K! I stopped writting and could barely stand to listen.

I do remember he mentioned there was a "stored code" that led them to the diagnosis. I also distintly remember the word cam but, didn't think it was the cam shaft in the engine? Are there some dort of cams in the turbo? I'm guessing at this point... I'll post up when I get the details.

I went with NAC (national auto care) for the warranty and got the platnium coverage so the turbo and more electronics would be covered for something just like this... But, I still cant help but to worry they will try to get out of it and I'll be left holding the tab!

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by PHAT A$$; 06-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

UPDATE:

The warranty is paying!!!

I read something about the B7's having bad fuel pumps I'm wondering if this has to do with that? Anyway they are replacing the boost recirculation valve, intake cam, and high pressure fuel pump and, replacing the fuel sending unit.

The "claim" had LCD screen which was running it up to the $5k. looks like parts labor the warranty companie is going to be on the hook for about $3400 or so...

I'm paying $50!!! BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!! Hell, they even waive the $140 they charged to diagnois it. I LOVE my Audi, even if it is broke!

Jason

Old 06-06-2009, 06:02 PM
1st Gear
Default wow!

Wow, stories like that are why I dont have an Audi and probably wont be getting one. Why **** would you drop as much as these cars are with FULL KNOWLEDGE that stories like yours are commonplace? Who here can afford to drive around in a car that has a friggin $5000 bill just a mile or two down the road.
Buy the extended warranty--ha! What a pile--when you have to buy a warranty just to enjoy your car without worries--is that how all the guys on this forum have to live? Do people wake up in cold sweats around here with nightmares of failed components and $5000 repair bills!!?
I think I am just gonna buy a Bimmer or Porsche.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:27 PM
4th Gear

national auto care
Is whoIi had through the Dodge dealer for my truck... good company.

Blah....blah....blah....I think I am just gonna buy a Bimmer or Porsche.
Ok.. be prepared for the same type of ****.... Remember, a Porsche is made by the Same Company, and BMW's reliablity is no better, but both cost more to fix.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear
Default same things?

I could see the Porsche being more expensive, but on the BMW I am not so sure.
And you know whats funny--look at the true delta ratings for BMW's and Audi's--you'll see the AUDI's get RED LIGHTS--meaning **** reliability year after year Why cant Audi engineer a vehicle that will last? Look at the BMW's--MUCH BETTER reliability. Look around you on the road----how many used BMW's do you see around you--hint---they're everywhere. When's the last time you saw a pre 1996 Audi on the road?

From what I can gather the Audi looks nicer--perhaps a nicer interior. I guess I am not willing to spend huge amounts of cash on constant issues and worry about the threat of catastrophic breakdown.

I wonder how many people get the Audi bug--hoping and preying that wont get screwed on their car and then walk away over sheer frustration THOUSANDS later, thinking damn--wTF was I thinking there--I knew the risks. Oh well, at least it was a cool looking car.

What a shame...........

Quick Reply: Engine cut out just this side of 100mph? HELP!