B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

ER 2.0T dual SMIC kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
4th Gear
Default ER 2.0T dual SMIC kit

Anyone interested in a ER 2.0t Dual SMIC kit Group Buy?

I talked to Fred at ER and here is what I was able to work out.

5-9 people
Free Ground shipping in the 48 states. Extra for shipping anywhere else in the world or other shipping options.

10-14 people
Free Ground shipping in the 48 states. Extra for shipping anywhere else in the world or other shipping options. Plus $50 off my sale price.

15+ people
Free Ground shipping in the 48 states. Extra for shipping anywhere else in the world or other shipping options. Plus $100 off my sale price.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear

IC upgrade will net you no noticable gains unluss you are upgrading your turbo. Even a gtage 2 car is fine on the stock IC / turbo setup. Money is better spent elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 AM
4th Gear

I guess that depends on where you live. Odd thing is plenty of chipped turbo owners are running them and have noticed a difference. I guess that is why I have seen plenty of stock turbo owners asking for a GB and thats all I am trying to give them.

Here is a review by a customer that bought the kit last year.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...s-SMIC-Upgrade....

Evolution Racewerks SMIC Upgrade....
is on my car!!!!!!

First off, i don't have my Vag-com anymore so i was unable to do a pre-log and post-log of my car to see cooling temp differential. I switched to a macbook and i haven't had a chance to run vag-com software through bootcamp yet...that and i need a new cable since its broken

After looking through different intercooler options as far as price, efficiency and running a stock turbo with the potential to upgrade to a BT or k04 i decided the ER SMIC's was the right choice for me. There are many b5 s4 guys that are quite happy with this set up, and these intercoolers are similar in size/design to the b5s4 set up. Reminder, those s4's are running stage 3 kits well over 400hp.

As far as the product goes, I must say i am very impressed on the results this has done as far as response and boost. Running on the stock IC's, i noticed that i was running about 18 lbs boost on my GIAC flash, at times 19 lbs peak then holding around 15-17 depending on conditions.

Running on ER's DSMIC's, I immediately noticed that the car was hitting 20 lbs and holding at about 18-19 lbs, certain gears like 4th spiking at 21. Im pretty sure the reason for the increase in boost would be due to the fact the ECU is detecting colder air going into the car, it is advancing timing and boost by adapting to the IAT change. Second, for a avg 2 PSI increase, the stock IC's must be somewhat restrictive. Despite running larger cores, (Two large 10"x7.3"x4.5" (14.5"x7.3"x4.5" with end tanks), a 657 combined cubic inches of intercooler core), there was indeed an increase as far as boost is concerned.

Throttle response has improved, and i know i am not a big fan of the "butt dyno", but the car def feels like it has picked up a few (not a lot of course) HP and i don't feel the heat soak like i use to.

I am running a GIAC flash with the stock HPFP, AWE quad tip exhaust, and now the ER SMIC's as my upgrades. I am going to give the car a bit more time to adapt before i strap it onto a dyno to see where i am currently at. And yes i know...i don't have a baseline dyno to see the SMIC results.

Im not too concerned with HP numbers, but more of how well this IC cools the charged air after beating on the car. Logs will come shortly after i meet up with one of my friends who has a VAG. Based on how the car feels (heat soak is easy to tell IMO), there has been a noticible difference in performance already. to fred @ ER.

Definately an upgrade to get...summer is coming and don't get heatsoaked!

There looks to be 10 people already on the list to buy if the list gets to 15 with a price of $669 shipped anywhere in the 48 states.

For those that might be interested in a ER B7 Comp FMIC kit, you can grab it before the end of the year and save $150 of my sale price.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 12-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear
Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 PM
4th Gear

That is the same GB, just a thread going over on AZ with some of the AZ members updating the list and who has paid.

If you didn't already know I am the owner of Ringer Racing.