B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Fuel Pump Tale of Woe!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel Pump Tale of Woe!!

Wondering if I can get some wisdom for a problem I'm having. I just replaced the LP fuel pump and filter in my 2008 A4 2.0 Quattro. I bought a v-checker pro under the impression I would need to do an adaptation. Unfortunately after 2 faulty v-checkers I still haven't been able to do an adaptation. Here is the rub: my fuel gauge only goes down to 1/3 and won't drop any lower. My question is could this be a function of not running an adaptation or is it perhaps that the float arm itself is physically hanging up on something and needs to be finagled? I would just pop it back out but the fitting on the return fuel line to the tank is breaking apart (cheap *** plastic) and I'm afraid ill have to replace that fuel line if it comes off again. I'm new to the car so any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Certified

the fuel pump float is almost most definately in the wrong position. There is no adaptation that you need to be concerned with. You do NOT need to be making ANY adaptation changes whatsoever.

Also with that line. I understand your woes..... technicians break that line all the time. But the key is to push down on the line into the pump and with equal pressure engage the two tabs to release the line. You can even do it with your fingers if your that good. I have a special pair of pliars i made with angled jaws that do it nicely as well.

But no no no adaptations.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
the fuel pump float is almost most definately in the wrong position. There is no adaptation that you need to be concerned with. You do NOT need to be making ANY adaptation changes whatsoever.

Also with that line. I understand your woes..... technicians break that line all the time. But the key is to push down on the line into the pump and with equal pressure engage the two tabs to release the line. You can even do it with your fingers if your that good. I have a special pair of pliars i made with angled jaws that do it nicely as well.

But no no no adaptations.
Thanks for the info! That's what I was guessing, that it was a mechanical rather than a electronic malfunction. How hard is it to change that return fuel line? Does it require dropping the tank or can it be finagled in there from below? Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Certified

you have to lower that side of the tank. 2 (13 mm) hex bolts on a strap and you may need to remove the middle two as well right by the drive shaft.

Depending which line.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
you have to lower that side of the tank. 2 (13 mm) hex bolts on a strap and you may need to remove the middle two as well right by the drive shaft.

Depending which line.

You can lower it onto a jack with a flat piece of wood so you don't risk damaging the tank