B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Headlight flickers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Headlight flickers

I have 2006 A4 FWD 2.0l. The front right headlight flickers. Sometimes when I first start the car it flickers for a wile and then the flickering disappears. Tonight for the first time the light went out as I was driving. I stopped, restarted the car and the light was back on.

Is it something as simple as a loose connection or is this typical of these headlights - they turn with the steering wheel and go up and down.

If it is likely a loose connection or if the light needs to be replaced, how do I get at it to replace/repair?

I would be grateful for any help at all.

Phil

Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

I own a 2006 A3 & it has the same problem. Went to the dealer couple of days ago. They told me to replace it. Either by them or myself. It's been like that for about a year. I'll wait until it goes out. For now Iam trying to see how to take the old one out.

ldv

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

If your referring to the complete headlight as the 'light' , then this doesn't need to be replaced, usually it is the bulb (D1s in mine). Mine flickered randomly on both sides and then would go out, but by turning off the lights and then on again they would fire up again, but it would happen again. It was not only inconvenient but also dangerous as other traffic may think you are flashing them.

Best is to get 'both' bulbs for both sides and change them same time. this worked for me, although dealers told me a full complete headlight unit for both sides will need to be replaced.... yeh right bloody expensive! and totally unnecessary !

Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

I looked a little more on internet and have found that this is prevalent problem with Audi and for some reason they have generally not acknowledged it nor have they stood behind their cars in this regard. Some contributors have changed bulbs, some the ballast and others both - all at suggestion of dealers or on their own. From what I can see the result is rather inconclusive but there definitely does not seem to be a quick fix. Oh yes, some have added shims - whatever that means.

Phil

Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

Phil, the chances are replacing just the bulbs will fix your issue. Like I said replace both sides at the same time. This is also the cheapest way to do it.

The shims are a fix for the 'shaking' of the complete headlamp due to engine vibrations, some models had the this problem come about after a year or so old.

Audi are aware of both problems, the shaking of the headlamps and the flickering of the bulbs, but are unhelpful to say the least.

Change the bulbs and I reckon your good Pal.

Cheers
Sarge