B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

HPFP removal question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default HPFP removal question

Hey guys. I have an 07 without the banjo on my hpfp. I need to check my follower and am stuck. I was wondering how you got this 17mm nut to turn. I can't get anything to fit in that space to gain any leverage. Nothing on the internet really goes into detail how or what wrench they used. Thnx

Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

If I remember correctly, I used a 17 mm wrench on mine, it was tight but I had just enough throw in the wrench to move loosen/tighten that nut little by little. Is that your picture or one from the internet for reference?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mhoward
If I remember correctly, I used a 17 mm wrench on mine, it was tight but I had just enough throw in the wrench to move loosen/tighten that nut little by little. Is that your picture or one from the internet for reference?
Nope, off the internet. I guess my wrench has too much material, need to get a different one. A different tool for every job. I'm gonna own a service station the pace I'm procuring them. Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think this forum was a dud. lol I have the revision put in by the dealership and am curious, and a bit concerned every time I drive, what it looks like.

Last edited by Closer; 07-21-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Closer
Nope, off the internet. I guess my wrench has too much material, need to get a different one. A different tool for every job. I'm gonna own a service station the pace I'm procuring them. Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think this forum was a dud. lol I have the revision put in by the dealership and am curious, and a bit concerned every time I drive, what it looks like.
This forum is slow but usually a reply will come, so be patient. Yeah try different angles and size wrenches and see if you can get it. It should be possible without taking off other stuff....what do you mean by revision?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

By revision I mean an improved part. The newer cam followers supposedly have more durable material at the head. Depending on your model and regardless really it should've swapped out. Still it doesn't mean anything, the follower should be checked/changed every 20k. If you're chipped it should be 10k miles. If you've ever seen what a failed one can do to an engine you'd be worried too.

Last edited by Closer; 07-23-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

I'm well aware of the cam follower issue and how it looks, I've replaced my own and am due to check it as well. I wasn't aware of a CF revision but they've got revisions for all the other common failure parts too I suppose.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Closer
By revision I mean an improved part. The newer cam followers supposedly have more durable material at the head. Depending on your model and regardless really it should've swapped out. Still it doesn't mean anything, the follower should be checked/changed every 20k. If you're chipped it should be 10k miles. If you've ever seen what a failed one can do to an engine you'd be worried too.
20k is a bit extreme--especially if you have a newer revision part. I have 79k miles on my car. According to Audi's records, it's never been changed and I've had the car since 34k miles, so I only know for sure I've never had it done. Just had it looked at to prove it wasn't toast (long story) and it looks nearly new. My car is even a pretty early B7 as it was put into service in November of 2005.

Make sure you put on a new o-ring whenever you take the HPFP off.

Last edited by KingWulfgar; 07-23-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
My car is even a pretty early B7 as it was put into service in November of 2005.

Make sure you put on a new o-ring whenever you take the HPFP off.

I've got an 11/05 B7 also, with 100k miles. I've ordered the cam follower, but I don't know what o-ring you are referring to. Is there a part number?

Also, a little help finding a DIY cam follower would be great. My searches are finding all the threads about problems with it, like this thread, but I can't seem to find a DIY thread.

Thank you!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

The only accessable o-ring is on engine side of the HPFP. I've taken off my pump countless times without problems from the o-ring. It would be nice to do eventually.

The three torx are torque to yield stretch bolts. You ought to be careful not to reuse them too many times, especially if you're using a torque wrench. You do not want to ruin the camchain housing and have to helicoil it. They're expensive mistakes to replace.

I keep it a habit of checking the follower. I've seen followers get destroyed in less than five thousand miles. "Updated" followers fail just as nicely on the 2008's.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SFL_A4
I've got an 11/05 B7 also, with 100k miles. I've ordered the cam follower, but I don't know what o-ring you are referring to. Is there a part number?

Also, a little help finding a DIY cam follower would be great. My searches are finding all the threads about problems with it, like this thread, but I can't seem to find a DIY thread.

Thank you!
Sorry, I just looked at the work order, but because they zeroed everything out when they agreed not to charge me for the work because I allowed them to change the timing belt, there's no part number on it. I had just read at one of other 2.0T forums that once you break the seal it may not seal right again. You'll probably be fine if you don't change it, but because I was at the stealership, I made them do it.

Sorry, no DIY help here--I have the banjo bolt version, so I decided I didn't want to pull it myself.

Quick Reply: HPFP removal question