B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Just got a 2008 A4. I have some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got a 2008 A4. I have some questions..

1. I pressed the check button and these notifs came up. What do those mean?

2. I turn the car on (not started), the lights on and these notif lights were showed. What do these mean?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear

The car is running a system check. Making sure oil pressure sensor is reading, brake lights are working, coolent sensor is working, passenger air bag is off when no one is in the seat. If there was a problem one of those lights would show on the dash display. Not really sure about the circle with the "x" over it. I think that is headlight related. I will have to pull my owners manual to check.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear

That other symbol is for a defective light bulb. Forgot to mention after the system finishes it should say "OK". That indicates all systems cleared the check. Your car will do this each time you switch the ignition on. You can also puch the wrench button while sitting still (doesn't work if the car is moving) to run the check. Also, if the symbol is red that indicates a danger. You should stop driving the car until resolved. Yellow indicates a possible issue that needs to be addressed. It might be okay to continue driving the car, but you should resolve the issue sooner than later. As an example low washer fluid yellow warning light is nothing to worry about. Just fill it up when you get a chance.

Last edited by rhodes991; 06-08-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

what he said. those are simple diagnostic checks but certainly does not cover the whole car. i would say those are the most 'common' systems but if something else goes wrong, the CEL (check engine light) will come on but that 'check' function may not indicate the problem so you need an OBDII scan tool/mechanic.
also, if you press the wrench button while driving, above 5mph i think, it sets the cars speed warning. this sets a little alarm, at say 65mph, so if you go over 65mph it alerts you to slow down. i think you can set two different speeds. pretty useless since you can just use cruise control.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
The car is running a system check. Making sure oil pressure sensor is reading, brake lights are working, coolent sensor is working, passenger air bag is off when no one is in the seat. If there was a problem one of those lights would show on the dash display. Not really sure about the circle with the "x" over it. I think that is headlight related. I will have to pull my owners manual to check.
When I pressed the button CHECK, the light for "Coolant" and "Oil pressure" are red as in the pictures. But when its done it still says OK. Also when I start the car, only the tire pressure light is on, nothing else. So I wonder if I have problems with my coolant and oil pressure because those are red lights when I pressed the check button.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

sorry, i misspoke, i meant if you press the 'check' button while driving it sets the speed warning, which is also checked in the system check while still (mph1 and mph2 icons).

no there shouldnt be a problem with those areas, that is just the color of the icon. rhodes meant if the light comes on while driving, a red light/icon is generally more serious. as evidenced by the yellow washer fluid and low tire icons.

does the low tire pressure light stay on while driving? have you checked the tire pressures manually?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Yea I guess those "Oil Pressure" and "Coolant" just shows that the warning system still working fine.
Yes it does stay on and I think I have to go check the tire pressure.
How about the oil icon with the word "MIN" on it? Does it mean my oil level is low? What kind of oil I have to use since my car is 2.0T and I live in Louisiana (very hot)?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

yea if the min oil light is on while driving, add oil immediately. i use mobil 1 0w-40 (european formula) look at walmart. they have 5qt jugs for about $25 if you do your own oil change. if your local store doesnt stock it, you should be able to get it shipped to store for free. best deal around.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by imaudi5000
yea if the min oil light is on while driving, add oil immediately. i use mobil 1 0w-40 (european formula) look at walmart. they have 5qt jugs for about $25 if you do your own oil change. if your local store doesnt stock it, you should be able to get it shipped to store for free. best deal around.
I have to do it at the auto care shop since I dont have the tools to do it myself. They charge me $100 for the Synthetic Mobil1. The shop is ~ 3 miles away from my house, will it be okay for me to drive my car there since its a red light for the oil light (with the MIN word)?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear

Most likely you will be okay to drive that short of a distance. I have drive about 30 miles with mine on before. Was a little concerned until I checked the level and saw it was still at the min mark. Genrally when my light comes on I try and get oil in it right away. Check the level before you go and if it is at the min mark on the dipstick you will be fine. Otherwise add a half quart of oil. If you are changing it right away any grade would be fine (10w40, 5w40, etc...) as it is only going to be in the car for 3 miles.

Might want to get into the habit of carrying a quart or two in your trunk. That is what I do (and a lot of others as well).

Also, about $100 for an oil change is in the ballpark for these cars.

Last edited by rhodes991; 06-10-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got a 2008 A4. I have some questions..