B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Just to vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear
Default Just to vent

Okay, just venting here. My car just cracked 205K (2008 A4). Water pump let's go two months ago. Not a huge deal as it was getting to the point where the timing belt needing replacing. Went ahead and did a lot of various other items at the same time (pulleys, belts, spark plugs, etc...). Car runs great afterwards, for three weeks. Then I have no power to accelerate. I replace the MAF with no joy. So, I resort to my shop. They find that a hose clamp broke under the air box causing boost loss. Semi expensive repair as they spent about an hour tracking down the issue. Three days, yes three days later I get a low coolant message. Stupid hose to the turbo split. Another $300 repair (had the shop handle the repair). Pick the car up Thursday evening and it runs fine all day Friday. Late Friday afternoon I go out and it won't crank. Just a single click, jumpstarting doesn't help either. A two back to the shop and the starter has gone out. Going to be an almost $500 repair (I don't have the space or tools to change it plus it looks like a PITA to do anyhow). I sure hope that is it for a bit. I am not complaining as I have had the car for 6 years with no issues. Vent over (I hope)!

Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome to the high mileage Audi life. Not to belittle your issues, but my car needs a turbo...$1500ish.

Just commiserating.

ETA: Barely 100k miles on mine, too.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

Mine is starting to suck oil, but not too bad yet. Figure that may be next. At 205k it is awful hard to complain about a split hose, a broken hose clamp, and a starter. If I owned an American made care I would have already replaced the starter two or three times! Just sucks to have it all happen one after another. Even with the issues I still love the car. Only way I would replace it would be with another Audi. Dealership near me had a 2011 S4 that looked kind of nice Ahhh, I think I will save myself the car payment, for now.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

You got some good life out of that one, that's for sure. I'd consider an S3 (it's still the 2.0t 4-cyl platform), but I'm not sure I want the hassles associated with the S4. Have you seen the forthcoming RS3? *whistles*

As for my turbo, it's not too bad yet, so I'm going to just keep babying it along for a while until I have to do something about it. I'm still squeaking out 10-12psi under heavy boost, just not the 18 that's being requested (stage 1 tune). It's blowing a bit of oil, but 1qt in 5k miles isn't too bad.

It's paid for. Honestly, even if I dropped a brand new turbo in, that's like, what 3 months worth of car payments on a newer one? I'll drive it a while longer.

Also, nice to see you're still around, rhodes.