B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Might Get a 2008 Audi A4 2.0T - help please

Old 07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear
Smile Might Get a 2008 Audi A4 2.0T - help please

Hey guys,

I currently own a 2000 1.8T TT w/ 134,000 miles and I am contemplating trading it in for a 2008 Audi A4 2.0T with 1500 miles and a steal-of-a-price through an Audi dealership nearby. My TT has plagued me with electrical issues and now I believe I have something seriously wrong with my turbo. Basically, I'm trying to get rid of the thing - it's a family car but I'm the only drive now and I'm tired of dealing with the thing.

Anyway, I wanted to get some feedback on the A4's, specifically the 2008 2.0T FWD variant that I am looking into. Do they tend to have the typical problems with electronics like my TT has continuously had, for example, having to blow nearly a grand on instrument clusters and broken fuel gauge technicalities, etc., sway bars acting up, and so on? Is there anything consistently wrong across the 2008 A4 board that most owners seem to have, and when does it happen, and how should I prepare for it?

I love Audis and, like I always tell my American muscle car friends that ridicule me for going German and even worse, with a 4-banger, I tell them that my Audi is the most comfortable car I've rode in - when it's working. I just want to know what I may be getting myself into ... again.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-25-2009, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear

Do yourself a favor and make sure the car is CPO, i don't care how good the deal is. 100k warranty is unbeatable.

I have said this in many posts though if want a car that is noticably quicker and yet maintains the same size if not better trunk space, Conider getting an A3. They are lighter, same stylings and come with the DSG Auto which is the best auto tranny ever made. The A4 comes with a CVT tranny wich feels like a slush box and the weight of the A4 combined with this tranny is a real drag.

You will need to have the car chipped just to get the car to move out of it's own way. Drive an A4 and then drive an A3. You will be surprised.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 AM

The B7 A4 is much improved in the reliablity department over many other Audi models including the B6 A4. 2007 and 2008 are even more reliable than the first couple years, as well, so I think you should definitly be in for an improvement in the reliability area over your current ride. However, if anything does go wrong, it will still cost you an arm and a leg to replace, so I would recommend a CPO if you plan on having the car as long as you've had the TT.

As far as typical problems -
If you drive the car hard and/or have a chip, the diverter valve will probably go at some point. There is a much improved design available on the B8's, so if/when it does blow, that is a cheap $80 fix (free under warranty).
If you drive the car hard and/or have a chip, the PCV might go at some point. There are aftermarket catch can remedies for this as well as just upgrading to the newest revision. Not too expensive of a fix out of warranty and free under warranty.
The final thing I'll address, and it's the big one. The fuel pump (being a FSI motor) runs off of an extra cam lobe on the intake cam. There were some issues with the earlier cams and cam followers wearing out too soon. The wear on the cam follower can cause wear on the cam and cause someone to have to replace the cam and fuel pump internals. This is about $2500-3000 at a dealership out of pocket and free under warranty. I would always suggest paying the dealership (or doing it yourself) to check the wear before a warranty went out.

These are the most common issues and aren't too bad. Most people can catch the cam wear problem while under warranty and the other issues (even out of warranty) aren't too bad a problem. The electrical issues for which Audi is known are not nearly as big a problem as with cars in the past, but occasionally cars do have some issues.

Good luck, and I have thoroughly enjoyed owning mine.

PS: As far as CVT's sucking - many guys love them while other don't, but the tiptronic transmission in the quattro is a good tranny, and the 6 speed manual is ALWAYS the way to go!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 AM

More good reading about issues:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153392

This write up is all over VAG forums so it's more or less common issues with the 2.0T.

and again, good luck

Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by clemsongt
PS: As far as CVT's sucking - many guys love them while other don't, but the tiptronic transmission in the quattro is a good tranny, and the 6 speed manual is ALWAYS the way to go!
I would say anyone who has never driven a DSG tranny and felt the difference for themselves would have no clue.

I Was Mr, Happy with my B6 and CVT and even fine with my B7 for a while. Once I bought my GTI which is basically an A3 and owned both Transmissions...."Holy crap" is all I can say. You feel like you are in a Porche vs a Geo Metro. I'm serious. If the A4 had this tranny it would be just killer.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys, especially clemsongt.

Will be making a decision in the next week or so.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

Looking at buying a 2008 Audi A4 with 59,000 miles on the clock car is in good condition very clean inside and out, full service history. Is there anything I should look out for or any problems with them ? It's a 6 speed manual gearbox 2.0 Diesel engine, any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

I doubt you'll get many replies, because I doubt many people had problems with that engine. I'd say go for it. I had an '06 with this engine and it's just incredible. Mine was the 140hp version, but they also have a 170hp version. Remember, this is a better, newer, more powerful, more efficient and improved version of one of the most famous and widely used engines in the world - the bulletproof 1.9TDI that ran for over 10 years in so many different vehicles of so many different brands from the VW group should give you enough confidence. Mine spun the front wheels in third gear (it was a front wheel drive, obviously). You also get less than 5L/100km fuel mileage (highway). You just can't go wrong.