B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Need help! Car sounds loud instead of quiet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help! Car sounds loud instead of quiet.

Hey everyone,

I've owned my Audi for less then two weeks now. Before I bought her I noticed she sounded a bit loud while running. I told the dealership I would not buy her without her going and getting checked over and having a diagnostic ran. I was told everything came back fine and they even fixed some recalls that had recently came up.

My Audi still sounds loud and I'm sick of being told she doesn't sound right. Granted I don't know much about Audi's being new to the Euro side but to me, it sounds like a belt... maybe a timing belt?

I've done some reading in the B7 and B5 sub sections, thanks to some very helpful and kind members who told me to do some reading up in there. But I'm still unsure what this causing my Audi to sound sooo loud, instead of nice and quite like Audi's should. Ironically my Evo's engine ran quieter then my Audi does right now.

She is still under a small warranty from the dealership and I need some help! Should have the the dealership pull apart the engine and check all the belts before the warranty ends and I'm screwed? Or what??? Idk what to do and I need some advice from you guys.

I love my Audi and just want to make sure everything is right and running strong.

Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions that may help me.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

What exactly is loud? High idle? Diesel-like ticking? Could use more of a description of the sound.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

I'll be honest idk what a diesel-like tick sounds like at all. It sounds like the belt to me or something with the belt.

For all I know nothing may be wrong and older Audi's just get a little loud, just trying to make sure its nothing serious.

And I'm not trying to be vague just unsure.

Last edited by MsLayla; 06-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

If it's a 2.0T and it sounds like this:

Then it's nothing to worry about. FSI engine fuel injectors are under very high pressure and create this sound. I believe later models may still generate this sound, but they've possibly added more sound deadening material. If you didn't get the car from a true Audi dealer, then the mechanics may not be aware that this is a normal sound for these engines.

If it's not this, then you may have to record audio or video of it and post it so we can diagnose it better.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Thank you Damaniac311 so much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

The video was very helpful to me. It does sound very similar to how my Audi sounds, but....

I did make a video of my Audi just incase someone else thinks it doesn't sound similar because I rather have another opinion instead of being wrong and things go south.

Oh and I appreciate the explanation about the FSI engine fuel injectors sounding louder. It definitely makes a lot of sense and I am sooo hoping that is all it is.

I did not buy my Audi from an Audi dealership BUT there is an Audi certified dealership not even 5 minutes away from where I bought my car. The salesman is a good friend and actually the Audi service manager and I have known each other for years as well because of our brothers. She assured me that the salesman did bring it in and have it checked over before I bought it. She also made sure the recalls were taken care of. I did not ask her if my Audi sounded louder then normal because at the time I didn't think anything of it. But now that I've had other say it sounds off, the concern is coming back.

Last edited by MsLayla; 07-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cari12
Do you check your muffler???
The sounds is definitely not coming from my exhaust. I do know that for a fact!!

You can only hear this sound from the outside of my car, while standing in front of it. IF you listen to the video it is very obvious it is coming from the engine bay.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

No offense but you seem like a woman and if you are...Youre awesome for caring for your car like that! I honestly wish all women were like that! Congratulations on your new car! Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fourringking
No offense but you seem like a woman and if you are...Youre awesome for caring for your car like that! I honestly wish all women were like that! Congratulations on your new car! Good Luck!
No offense taken. I am by no means your typical female.... I race, I wrench, I drive a manual in high heels and I can hold my own. My cars are family to me, they are like a child to me. I love them and I talk to them and I baby them when I can. Thank you for appreciate me for me. And thank you for the congrats, I am very happy with my Layla.

Oh and if more women were like me, then I wouldnt be as unique or special. Lol

Last edited by MsLayla; 06-04-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Hmmm...I hate to say this but it does sound off :/

It certainly sounds more pronounced on the passenger side.

I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence here, but are you certain the dealer used full synthetic oil? The reason I ask is, when I test drove mine the car sounded normal. When I picked it up later that day they told me they changed the oil and filled the gas tank. When I drove it off the lot it sounded louder to me than it did earlier that day. When I called the dealership, come to find out they put conventional oil in and filled the gas tank with 87. Gahhhh! Did my own oil change immediately after and it quieted down. I'm not saying that's exactly the problem, but I figured it was worth a mention.

Other than that, this is beyond my level of knowledge. I know there are Audi master techs on this forum, so hopefully they'll get a chance to see this and help.

And yes, Women who love cars = awesome. High heels in a manual is impressive, I can't do it with anything but regular shoes haha.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

I knew I wasn't crazy and something sounded off!! I'm glad I'm not the only one now, thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it. Making a video if it definitely was a great idea.

As far as what oil the used, idk but I will definitely be asking later today now, thanks for the heads up.

I do hope some master Audi tech does chim in soon, but even if they don't its going to Audi to be rechecked asap!!

Thank you again. I take a lot of pride in my cars. Cars are not just a hobby for me, they are a huge passion and define a great part of who I am. Driving in heels is fun. I love throwing people off by doing it. Oh and I would hope your not wearing heels Damaniac311... lol.

Last edited by MsLayla; 06-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help! Car sounds loud instead of quiet.