B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Rear-end tire/wheel noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear-end tire/wheel noise?

I have always received great advise or suggestions from you guys.
My subject title pretty much sums it up.
Lately my daughters 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro began experiencing or emitting a constant noise from first what seemed like the rear passenger side wheel- tire area; and now both sides.
New tires all the way around, not that long ago, and lots of tread still remaining, so I ruled that out.
Doesn't really sound like bearings but i could be wrong.
CV's??? I don't know, what say you guys?

Rich aka Dad of Dominique

Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Bump... no guesses????
Have a good day!

Originally Posted by rhohmann
I have always received great advise or suggestions from you guys.
My subject title pretty much sums it up.
Lately my daughters 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro began experiencing or emitting a constant noise from first what seemed like the rear passenger side wheel- tire area; and now both sides.
New tires all the way around, not that long ago, and lots of tread still remaining, so I ruled that out.
Doesn't really sound like bearings but i could be wrong.
CV's??? I don't know, what say you guys?

Rich aka Dad of Dominique

Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear

Something like that happened to my dad's GMC Yukon. A seal went on the rear diff and it lost oil and fried it started making a noise, but it was to late to salvage. So replacement gears were needed.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
2nd Gear

So much back there could be making noise. If it is a howling noise I would look to the rear diff, a squealing/scrapping noise could be rear brake related. A clunk could be shock/strut related. Could be wheel bearings (although both sides at the same time would be odd). Might try putting the car in the air and spinning the wheels (by hand) to help locate the noise.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
So much back there could be making noise. If it is a howling noise I would look to the rear diff, a squealing/scrapping noise could be rear brake related. A clunk could be shock/strut related. Could be wheel bearings (although both sides at the same time would be odd). Might try putting the car in the air and spinning the wheels (by hand) to help locate the noise.
Ruled out brakes and not sure of differential; however, i had my Indy Audi mechanic test drive it and said "yes noise not right" but wanted to get it up in the air with wheels off for better diagnosis. It's a Quattro and he wants to inspect the wheel hub assly's. I suspect a problem more than what i expected??? we'll see. Crap!

Question.... if bearings need replaced is that a difficult job?
I suppose i'll check youtube
Thanks
Rich

Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Update! I decided to just buy new rear hub assly's and change them out and hope that cares the problem. I'll check differential after and see if noise persists.
Stay tuned...
Doms Dad

Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

it always depends on the type of sound.
typically with audis its just a wheel bearing.
our AWD system is top notch, the rear end don't tend to go out like those of rwd BMWs seem to (not knocking bmw, they're great cars). not that it cant/dont happen. because they definitely can.
however our bearings do go out they're nothing special.
easy job however, they need to be "pressed in" which requires , you guessed it, a bearing press. lol
if you go to a shop and pay for everything to be done, $250. though ur gonna need an alignment, should be around $65..
if it is 2 wheel bearings, right and left, at full price 500 for both plus $65 for 4wheel alignment(of coarse every shop, location etc. etc. is different) especially the cost from CA to minnesota will be waaaay different but that should give you an idea. oh and its like a 3-5hour job for both sides and alignment so you shouldn't be out of a car for long.

im not a master mechanic or anything this is just my experience and opinion for the most part.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info my friend; i really appreciate it and this site!
Dom's Dad

Originally Posted by NHolzschuh
it always depends on the type of sound.
typically with audis its just a wheel bearing.
our AWD system is top notch, the rear end don't tend to go out like those of rwd BMWs seem to (not knocking bmw, they're great cars). not that it cant/dont happen. because they definitely can.
however our bearings do go out they're nothing special.
easy job however, they need to be "pressed in" which requires , you guessed it, a bearing press. lol
if you go to a shop and pay for everything to be done, $250. though ur gonna need an alignment, should be around $65..
if it is 2 wheel bearings, right and left, at full price 500 for both plus $65 for 4wheel alignment(of coarse every shop, location etc. etc. is different) especially the cost from CA to minnesota will be waaaay different but that should give you an idea. oh and its like a 3-5hour job for both sides and alignment so you shouldn't be out of a car for long.

im not a master mechanic or anything this is just my experience and opinion for the most part.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

Can one rent a bearing press or the proper device needed to change out the rear-wheel hub assemblies?

Rich