B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Replacing passenger side headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing passenger side headlight bulb

2006 B7 A4 2.0. Had to replace the drivers low beam factory H7 bulb today. I upgraded to the Phillips extreme vision bulbs while I was at it, both the high and low beam, and they are noticeably brighter. I have to say that I have been reading a lot of write-ups saying you have to move the fluid container out of the way, but I had no issues getting in there to swap out the bulbs. Now on to the passenger side, so both sides are of equal brightness. It appears that while it will take more work, that if you take out the air duct and maybe the airbox too, that it can be done. I REALLY do not want to take the bumper off as I have also read. Has anyone done the passenger side by just removing the air duct and/or airbox?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, I replaced my passenger side headlight bulb by removing the air duct and box. It wasn't hard to remove that, but it was a pain to get the bulb snapped in correctly. I ended up damaging it enough that it went out again within a week or two and I got to do it all again, but it was much smoother the second time around!

Never had to do the driver's side. It was replaced by the dealership just before I bought the car.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear

I had a bulb go out last summer so I decided to replace all my lights at one time. I took the bumper off to do that. It was much easier than I thought. The only issue I had was when putting it back on getting it lined up right. Takes a little work to get it right (for me anyhow). Watched some youtube videos that helped a lot.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
I had a bulb go out last summer so I decided to replace all my lights at one time. I took the bumper off to do that. It was much easier than I thought. The only issue I had was when putting it back on getting it lined up right. Takes a little work to get it right (for me anyhow). Watched some youtube videos that helped a lot.
Agreed. Removing the bumper isn't hard once you know how (have a long extension for those bolts inside the front fender and you don't even have to fully remove the wheel well flashing), but reinstalling can be a pain especially if you're by yourself. Doing the headlights from the back isn't bad.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

I am going to go with the air box removal method. Imagining how it would go if changing a headlight bulb I have to call my wife outside to help put the bumper back onto her car. I will try the airbox.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Ok- The passenger side was easier to get to than the drivers once i took out the plastic air intake that goes to the airbox. Didn't need to take out the air box after all. I was able to sneak my hand in there (I cannot palm a basketball) and remove/replace the both hi/low beam bulbs. The tab goes up and then it popped in fairly easily after a few tries. Watching from the front of the lens to align it helps.