B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Schizophrenic brake light; car scared of the cold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default Schizophrenic brake light; car scared of the cold?

Greetings fine fellows! So, it would appear that my first issue has made its presence known at last and I'm at a loss and haven't had much luck finding anything useful on the net :/ I am, however, mildly pleased to say it took a good six months for something to arise, considering in my old B5, it was a matter of about six hours LOL.

Basically, since the temps dropped here to subzero levels, I've had a bit of a gremlin with the brake light; you know, the one that lights up when you engage the e-brake. As far as I've been able to tell, there is no impact on drive-ability, she still stops on a dime, accelerates as brightly as always; no odd sounds from the wheels, the pads/rotors look next to brand new, and no foreign objects appear to be in the vicinity of any of the braking assembly that might trigger something.

Key things to note:

-The light doesn't come on and stay on; when it comes on, it flashes and beeps an obscene tone at me, flashes 4 or 5 times, and then light and sounds all shut up and its fine for the rest of my drive.

-The very first time it did this, it was fine in the morning leaving my house, fine leaving my office for lunch, and then it was leaving the office at the end of the day that it did it. Naturally, my first thought was that I hadn't put the parking brake all the way down. It only beeped/flashed at me for one sequence that time (about 4-5 seconds) and then was fine for a couple days after it warmed back up a touch.

-As it got progressively colder out, it started being a little more consistent; still always only at the end of the day, never in the morning- until this past weekend when we got slammed with well over 2 feet of snow overnight (I know, other places are getting it a lot worse) then the flashing light/beeps came a couple times a day when I would drive. Typically only within the first 5ish minutes of driving, it would do it the one time, then shut up for the rest of the drive.

-It then went berserk this morning. On my way to work (just really cold now, roads are well and clear and dry since the piling of snow between Friday night and Sunday morning) it went off a good ten times or so, BUT I have now started noticing a correlation:

-It seems to set off when I make a turn (left or right) that leads onto an incline IE from road into a driveway or up a parking structure ramp. As I was driving just normally down the road, it was fine, but pulling out of my home driveway, turning into a 7-11 to grab some coffee, turning out of the 7-11, into my office parking structure, etc, it went off every time. But only one series of 4-5 seconds of flashing/beeping and then was quiet again til the next time I made a turn.

Again, no impact on drive-ability; wasn't like a stuck caliper or something where you'd feel the drag slowing you down as you try to accelerate. Everything is otherwise completely fine, other than this light not shutting up and I have no idea what might be causing it. Any thoughts?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear

Well, as is well known in life, the simplest solutions are oft the most easily overlooked. Just needed to top off the fluid, seems to have taken care of the issue. Obviously, I won't know for sure without a couple days' experimentation, seeing as the issue seemed to typically happen at random, but I'm betting on the fluid being the case.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Mine was doing the same and topping off the fluid resolved that issue. In my case, it wasn't too long afterwards that I needed to do my brakes. The worn pads/rotors was causing the fluid level to drop.