B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Stalls in first 7 miles after sitting for 4 hours

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Stalls in first 7 miles after sitting for 4 hours

Audi A4 20T 2008 (Automatic) 53,000 miles on clock

So I just purchased my first Audi … primarily as commuter car across the state (Fl) 1600-1800 miles per month.

After the first few days I noticed several engine stalls primarily during light traffic or lower speeds. No lights or fault codes …. Not having the service history I went ahead and did the following:

(1) Replaced sparkplugs (Plugs purchased at Audi dealer)
(2) Replaced X4 coil packs
(3) Replaced Air and Fuel filters (The gas filter was heavy but not totally clogged)
(4) Replaced Gas tank cover (The gasket looked worn)
(5) I did full inspection on all vacuum hoses and electrical connections

Now the engine runs much smoother and the hesitation/stalls and engine cutouts only show up within the first 5 miles (after the car sits all day).

So from cold start within 3-7 miles (if I’m in traffic) it will die or stall a couple of times. Now the temp gauge is showing normal range (basically it appears to be up to temp when this issue occurs).

This is very repeatable and consistent. My thoughts are fuel control or cold start valve or some control around that but not knowing much about Audi’s I’m asking you guys the experts on Audi’s.

Has anyone experienced this issue… Or know what the fix would be????
Or should I flip before I get burned....

Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

What did you use for the diagnostic tool or was it just an obd reader?

If you can't get someone with a vagcom in your area I suggest a visit to the dealership. Even then, it may be a series of hit or miss procedures with them.

I would try the the regional on some of these forums to get access to a vagcom or just shell out the cash to get one. Symptoms like those can be as complicated or as simple as they come. You need a good starting point to work off if you were going to try this yourself - no idea of your wrenching experience is.

It's a shame since that car has less than 60k. Could be remnants of previous owner's troubles.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Dolamite,

Yes, I’ll research the vagcom, I use generic diagnostic tool.
I have an update….. I now have a P2403 code (Evaporative Emission System Leak detection pump sense circuit/open) showed up yesterday.

First code in 3 months sounds like the suspect but I’m not sure. FYI: The car drives and performs no differ now with the code and check engine light on. I’m going to look deeper on the weekend.

Thanks…

Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Check your leak detection pump for continuity if you can. The module may be dead. Part #8E0906201K.

That's a start

Old 04-01-2015, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

True that’s a start and I’m hoping it was the problem all along. Or maybe I broke it as just last Saturday I located the vent filter and pump hoping to find a clogged filter or broken line. But everything looked perfect not even dusty.

The check-engine light and subsequent fault cade didn’t show up until Monday. But who knows maybe I broke it as I did pull everything apart and re-assemble it.

Thanks again,
PB97

Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Fixed P2403 check engine issue. I removed the LD pump again this past weekend and realized that the week before I placed the pump spring with the wrong orientation. Changed the orientation and the pump is working fine now no check engine light or codes.

So I’m back to the original problem (as stated above) that problem still exists, every day like clockwork. A friend (Senior Infinity Tech) said he feels I need to look into the fuel pump and screen in the gas tank as he has seen similar problems with the Japs… No codes as momentary low fuel or pressure is not typically represented with codes.

I did take the inspection plate off behind the rear seat and it looks like a straight forward approach if I decide to go that route. But I’m thinking I just need to break down and take it to local dealer for diagnostics; or look up the price on VagCom.

Thanks again,
PB97

Old 04-06-2015, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

LPFP will definitely throw a code. Mine was tossing a P0089 (low fuel pressure on the low pressure side) at me when it was on its last legs. The dealer or someone who knows what they're doing with a vagcom can diagnose it. By running some tests, they were able to tell me mine was working overtime (nearly 100% of the time, which apparently isn't normal) to keep up with fuel demand before it ever went out. I'm definitely no expert, but your problem doesn't sound like a low pressure side problem to me.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 AM
1st Gear

Is it an abrupt cut of all power or an actual stumbling stall. I don't remember a mention of characteristics like electronic power, curious.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

Hi There,

Its stumbling stall, no other symptoms like electric power loss or transmission slip. This feels like fuel surge/starvation issue. (Quick story – my race car (Mazda RX7) had a similar problem - surge issue in tight turns when my fuel cell got down to two gallons… This issues feels just like that… my friends say I’m cursed!!!! I fixed the race car by installing a baffle system)

NOT suggesting I do the same here I’m just trying to explain…

Thanks for your interest.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

Curious, when was the last time you checked your hpfp and cam follower?

Quick Reply: Stalls in first 7 miles after sitting for 4 hours