B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Is it True that the Mode Button on the Steering Wheel Doesn't Work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Default Is it True that the Mode Button on the Steering Wheel Doesn't Work?

Hi there,

I just got my 2008Audi A4 2.0T with the Symphony Radio andiPod interface on the glove compartment. No BT nor Nav. So far everything is fine EXCEPT the Mode Button on the steering wheel, when pressed, displays an error message on the center display (something like Funct error) and does nothing. According to the manual, this button should work to switch between the radio/the cds/the cd changer/BT, if BT is available.

Searching this forum it seems the button does nothing unless you have the BT option installed. It may seems stupid, but why put a mode button on the steering wheel that's only work withONE option installed? why does the manual says it should work? another "brilliant" work on German cars owner's manual engineering? (my previous car was a Mini S, and my "wife drives a BMW X3, and let me tell you, Germans certainly make wonderful cars but they can take a lesson or two on how to write owner's manuals)

In any case, if it's true it doesn't work and the "ze zystem vas dezing perfectly and it vorks ze way it zhould", I think Audi dropped the ball big time on this one. Eventhe most basic car, with the most indecent multi-function steering wheel allows you to switch modes radio/cd/etc from the steering wheel. Instead of 'multifunction" steering wheel" it should be called "two function steering wheel": up/down volume and track/station switch

Amazing...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is it True that the Mode Button on the Steering Wheel Doesn't Work?

well...I didn't realize that button was on the cars without the technology package. Mine works...it changes the screen on the dash, toggling back and forth between the address book on my telephone and the radio/cd/mp3. Maybe it only works with the BT? Seems odd to put a button on there when the package isn't there. I drove a 2007 loaner a few months ago without the technology package and those buttons weren't on the steering wheel. Do you have the button for the voice recognition also? I think it is the button on the right side...but can't remember what the icon looks like....

Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM

Yes, the button is there, together with the voice button. It seems Audi uses the same steering wheel forsome of its A4, regardless they have the technolgy package or not. I checked with a Friend that just bought an A4 and same thing, the mode button does nothing

And you will think, well, is there so you can dd BT later without having to change the wheel, and no, the dealer says BT is a factory installed item, they can't install it. So I have a nice steering wheel with two buttons that do nothing. I'm complaining to Audi right now. As said, my cousing got a basic Kia, half the price of my A4, and the steering wheel of the Kia dos have a MODE button to change from radio to cd.

This is unforgivable for a $30K+ car. What were they thinking? [:@]

At least the car is amazing so far and I'm surprised with its accelaration after reading reviewssayingit was slugish. Unless you are competing in a race track, why would you need more acceleration?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

The MODE button on your car is a bluetooth option. If you didn't purchase that option then the button is useless. You can check to see if you have Bluetooth capabilities by opening the armrest. There should be a black plastic piece on the bottom with contacts showing. If not the armrest will have just felt inside on the bottom.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM

So what your saying is that I have to buy the Cell Phone cradle for my arm rest to make teh mode button work with everything?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

if your armrest doesn't already have the phone cradle, and as far as i know it's not wired for bluetooth. don't know what dealer you go to but the dealer i work at doesn't install/retrofit bluetooth to vehicles. just to back up auditech616, the mode button is stricly to operate bluetooth. as far as why audi puts the button on the wheel if it has a function or not is a cost issue. they aren't going to spend thousands possibly millions to design/manufacture a totally different steering wheel just because one/two buttons don't work. can you blame them??

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM

I completely agree with you Charlie, i have exactly the same car you have but the euro version of it 2.0t b7 2007
since in my country Dominican Republic they bring euro versions only. If you find the bluetooth kit for our car
please let me know.

Thank you.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

I have the bluetooth package. All the button does is toggle between phone or audio. It doesn't even toggle audio source, you have to touch the buttons on the console.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM

the tech department failed on this one simply be because it has to be a fully installed system and all were linked to each other ( cd player and Ipod dont interact ) MP3 player is better than a cd player because it holds more data the 6/10 cds can hold, so you have a system overflow when the "Ipod " for now does it all

Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Hey all, I bought my car without the tech package and the button did nothing. I since added a NAV and BT systema n now it works to toggle to my address book. Thought it was stupid to be there until I added the NAV and BT and was very happy I didn't have to replace the wheel!

Quick Reply: Is it True that the Mode Button on the Steering Wheel Doesn't Work?