B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Turbo or non-turbo? Need advise for next B7 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbo or non-turbo? Need advise for next B7 purchase

Hey Folks,

I currently have a 99 A4 2.8 quattro with 130k miles and was looking at upgrading to a newer model. Not being in a position to get the new model, I was looking to get a B7 with low milage (under 50k miles)...

My initial thoughts were to go with an A4 2.0T model (due to the better gas mileage), however, a friend of mine told me to STAY AWAY FROM THE TURBO, as he's owned one and after 75k, his engine light went on and it cost him $8k to repair the engine...he mentioned that I'm lucky to have a 6 cylinder car and to stay w/6 cyl, as turbo engines overheat and cause engine failure at around 70-80k miles, hence the low re-sale value

...now I'm a bit skeptic that Audi would produce crappy turbo engines that need to be redone at 70k, but I did notice that 90% of B7 used cars out there are 2.0T, and the price difference between a 2006 A4 2.0t & 3.2 is around 2-3k...so, before I make a decision, I wanted to hear from the "turbo experts" what their experience is, along with their valuable recommendation.

Thx

Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

I own a 2.0t and I dont want to sound bias but i love my 2.0t and wouldn't trade it for a 3.2 anyday. The 2.0t's are pretty reliable and haven't heard of many turbo's failing without heavy modding. But the fact the 2.0t is easily moddable and has a lot more potential than the 3.2 is a big plus in my mind. Not to mention the 3.2 is notorious for carbon buildup and dont get me wrong, the 2.0t is known to have carbon buildup but the fact the 2.0t runs hotter and people tend to drive the 2.0t a little harder, the buildup is less noticeable and less of a problem.

The 2.0t's are amazing cars, but dont get me wrong, the 3.2s are also amazing cars but the moddability and the fact that they are slightly cheaper and more available than the 3.2 is what sold me in my mind.

The turbo should not go out if you treat it right with its correct oil changes and feeding it the correct gas. Keep up with the regular maintenance and it will treat you well. There is a plethora of information about both cars on these forums and others like audizine, quattroworld, and audiworld, that if you have a question, i guarantee its already been brought up and discussed multiple times.

2.0t > 3.2 but either 1 is a good choice. I'd would really base your decision on what is available around you and what kind of options you can get for the right price.

Last edited by makav3li; 09-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

I love my 2.0t, and have had no mechanical problems. Interestingly blown turbo's are not what people on this or any other Audi forum complain about. Just maintain it. You will get better mileage, and since the engine is lighter, the car won't be quite as nose heavy as the V6. The 2.0t has many modding options, but remember modding the engine can shorten the life of the DV valve, which is easily replaced. Modding can also shorten the life of the cam follower, so you will need to monitor it and replace it as needed.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

another vote for the turbo. i'm sure that 99% of car troubles can be traced to the owners lack of maintenance. turbos are great for fuel economy and highway driving. the germans have been building turbo engines for decades so i think they have a good handle on the engine not failing. like i said before many times, i see so many old audi, volvo and mercedes turbos on the road...if anything they are stronger engines because they have forced induction. things like forged piston rods and what not become standard for alot of engines when there's forced induction.

i too wondered about the 2.0T and the V6 but i chose the turbo because of the better fuel economy and the potential to tweak with aftermarket parts and chips. after owning the 2.0T, you'll understand why it's been judged the best engine in it's class year after year since it came out.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

2.0T all the way. no moding ability with the 3.2

Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

I just did 500 miles of almost all highway driving this weekend, and where else can you get great handling, superior awd. And with the 2.0t, average 31.5 miles a gallon for the weekend, and still have a quick car.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rockblock
Hey Folks,

I currently have a 99 A4 2.8 quattro with 130k miles and was looking at upgrading to a newer model. Not being in a position to get the new model, I was looking to get a B7 with low milage (under 50k miles)...

My initial thoughts were to go with an A4 2.0T model (due to the better gas mileage), however, a friend of mine told me to STAY AWAY FROM THE TURBO, as he's owned one and after 75k, his engine light went on and it cost him $8k to repair the engine...he mentioned that I'm lucky to have a 6 cylinder car and to stay w/6 cyl, as turbo engines overheat and cause engine failure at around 70-80k miles, hence the low re-sale value

...now I'm a bit skeptic that Audi would produce crappy turbo engines that need to be redone at 70k, but I did notice that 90% of B7 used cars out there are 2.0T, and the price difference between a 2006 A4 2.0t & 3.2 is around 2-3k...so, before I make a decision, I wanted to hear from the "turbo experts" what their experience is, along with their valuable recommendation.

Thx
Based on my little experience with my daughter's newly purchased 2007 2.0L A4 I would hold out for the 3.2. I have read and continue to hear about the oil usage on this motor and just experiencing the same average on her car I wouldn't buy the turbo. It's your choice but you'll need to add a quart of oil around 1500 miles regardless if you drive in town or on the open highway. Oh and a quart runs about $7 or $8. So you'll be putting in 3 quarts (4 1/2 qtr system) in between a 5000 mile oil change interval. I have not heard of the 3.2 V6 burning any oil so it's up to you. You make the call.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Based on my little experience with my daughter's newly purchased 2007 2.0L A4 I would hold out for the 3.2. I have read and continue to hear about the oil usage on this motor and just experiencing the same average on her car I wouldn't buy the turbo. It's your choice but you'll need to add a quart of oil around 1500 miles regardless if you drive in town or on the open highway. Oh and a quart runs about $7 or $8. So you'll be putting in 3 quarts (4 1/2 qtr system) in between a 5000 mile oil change interval. I have not heard of the 3.2 V6 burning any oil so it's up to you. You make the call.
This is not true of all 2.0Ts. I never add oil to mine. Some burn it, some don't and your driving style affects it as well. Based on the empirical evidence around here, a quart every 1500 miles is way beyond what most people see--generally, it's a quart once during a 5000 mile oil change interval. Sounds like your daughter's A4 has something else wrong with it.

The 3.2s have other (alleged) problems that are just as (if not more) expensive as adding oil.

You will get much more selection with the 2.0Ts, much better aftermarket support, and better fuel economy (despite having to use 91+ octane fuel). I love my 2.0T and would definitely choose that over the 3.2L.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

I dont get what the HUGE deal is about burning oil. Ok you have to buy an extra quart or MAYBE 2 at oil change day and put it in the trunk. 2 months later you have to OPEN YOUR HOOD?! and on top of that, you have to poor the 1 quart into the engine! WHAAT!! Thats blasphemy and will not be tolerated!

For such a beautiful and fun to drive car, I'm willing to add a quart every couple thousand miles.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by makav3li
I dont get what the HUGE deal is about burning oil. Ok you have to buy an extra quart or MAYBE 2 at oil change day and put it in the trunk. 2 months later you have to OPEN YOUR HOOD?! and on top of that, you have to poor the 1 quart into the engine! WHAAT!! Thats blasphemy and will not be tolerated!

For such a beautiful and fun to drive car, I'm willing to add a quart every couple thousand miles.
I guess it is all relative. How many other high performance cars out there are noted for burning a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Maybe my expectations are a little higher then yours. Engine technology has come a long way from my early days wrenching cars and I would expect 0 oil loss over 5000 miles. Regardless of how much you can chip these engines there is no reason for pushing oil out of them. I regularly attend vintage car racing and talking with these guys on their turbo engines and they don't experience high usage. Interesting that Audi knew of the problems with the 1.8 motor and carried over the design in their 2.0. I guess she'll have to live with it.

Quick Reply: Turbo or non-turbo? Need advise for next B7 purchase