B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Upgrade normal S-line steering wheel to a multi function steering wheel?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Upgrade normal S-line steering wheel to a multi function steering wheel?

Hi,

I am currently considering buying a A4 Cabrio equipped with almost all upgrades and an 3.0 V6 TDI engine.
The price is great and the car runs nicely (as far as I can judge it after a test drive).

The car is equipped with the S-Line package.
Unfortunately, the car is NOT equipped with a multi function steering wheel... (which I can't understand in terms of total equipment and price of this car, but oh well)

Seeing that the car is offered at a great price and runs really nicely, I am wondering whether it would be possible to upgrade the steering wheel.
I have seen several multi function steering wheels on eBay, along with control boxes.
However, I have never done such an upgrade and I am not to sure about anything related to it...

Could someone please tell me, whether it is possible at all?
And if it is possible, what do I have to upgrade/replace?
Have any of you done a similar upgrade before? (if so, is it very complicated?)

I found the multi function buttons on eBay as well...
Would it be possible to simply buy those and keep the old steering wheel?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Ben

Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

It's definitely possible to upgrade, many people have done it. Depending which wheel you go to, you may need a different wiring harness, but you can probably find one that is already correct. Then you have to change the setting using VAG-COM (you can probably use the freeware version) so that the car recognizes the new wheel. I don't think it's too difficult, but I haven't done it myself.