B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Value of an '08 vs work needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Value of an '08 vs work needed

Any thoughts on what sort of longevity I can expect out of an '08 A4 sedan w/ 100k on it? Love the car but needs whole list of stuff (below), not to mention the exhaust is not long for this life. Having a hard time justifying the expense.

Cam solenoid and oil additive $435+tax; High pressure fuel sensor, pump and follower-$1020+tax; Carbon cleaning-$1200+tax; Thermostat: $659+tax; Timing belt and water pump:$1610+tax

Thanks
Brian

Old 12-20-2017, 03:44 PM

You could do most of this yourself, that would make it financially worthwhile.

Otherwise, no not worth it.

No idea about cam solenoid, I figure you mean (based on 2.0T engine - you never stated) either the cam sensor at timing belt end or the tensioner at cam chain end.

sensor at timing belt end is simple to do, probably cheap too.

As for the other stuff:
If you are good with car repairs then they are all possible to do much cheaper than you were quoted.

HPFP, sensor and follower are easy enough, cheap(ish) to replace but still an involved job.

Thermostat is cheap but, again, a pretty involved job.
I would do the thermostat, water pump and timing belt in one go. Seems they are planning to charge labor for each job, that's a rip-off.

Those prices are silly.
That's why we tend to fix our own cars in Audi land.

These are just my opinions; at those prices it's not worth it.
If you do the work yourself or bung a capable friend a couple hundred bucks to help then it's probably worth it if you like the car enough.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. Have since found out that exhaust, shocks, 2 motor mounts, and a few other items are also needed. Would love to be able to do the repairs myself, but don't have the knowledge or garage space.

Thanks
Brian

Old 12-22-2017, 04:32 AM

That's unfortunate buddy.

To be brutally honest buying an Audi is a complete waste of money anyway.

Sure, if you are lucky enough to afford a brand new one then MAYBE it could equal a few years trouble free motoring but to be honest.......

It has become extremely clear that even with massive preventative maintenance that Audis are just total trash that should be avoided like the plague.

I say that as a person who's owned half a dozen of them, they were great but sh**.

Every Audi on the road is potentially one drive away from a huge repair bill or a total loss.

That's a FACT.

F*** brand loyalty, they don't deserve it. My only loyalty is to my bank account and ability to get from A to B without worrying about these stupid cars.

I just made the fatal mistake of buying a 2.0TFSI, last Audi I ever buy, despite having a full service history, tens of thousands in receipts and apparently careful owners, this thing is a huge turd.

To conclude, it's probably a good thing that you were able to see what a normal Audi looks like; a mechanical bag of bricks.

Glad you didn't buy it TBH.