B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

What's the point of the "special edition"?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default What's the point of the "special edition"?

I am buying an 08 A4 Special Edition. From the research I've done the only thing that's different on the front wheel drive Special Edition models is the different wheels. That's the lamest Special Edition version of any car I've ever seen. Why did they even bother doing this rather than just offering these rims as an optional upgrade for all A4s?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

That is about it (metallic paint as well). I guess since they put the S-Line apperance on all cars they needed something else.

"The innovatively-named 2008 Audi A4 Special Edition enhances the look of the S-Line equipped A4 2.0T sedan and Avant with new nine-spoke wheels—the S-Line wheels are not included in the standard upgrade—and metallic paint.
Inside, quattro models get heated front seats and leather trim and one year of Sirius satellite radio. That’s all, folks."

Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Certified

I've never even heard of a special edition...

Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

Here is the official release. My car has the Phantom Black Pearl paint so didnt even take advantage of the metallic paint option.

PRESS RELEASE:
06 February 2008
2008 AUDI A4 SPECIAL EDITION DEBUTS AT CHICAGO AUTO SHOW

AUBURN HILLS, MI., February 6, 2008 – Audi of America Inc. today announced the debut of the 2008 A4 Special Edition at the Chicago Auto Show. The new configuration was created for customers wanting a thoroughly modern German luxury sport sedan with more exterior appeal and attractive packaging. This adds to the popular S line exterior bumpers and grille introduced as standard features on the A4 for the 2008 model year, which include a sportier front bumper and grille design, lower side door flares, and integrated rear trunk lid spoiler.

Designed for A4 sedan and Avant models equipped with the 2.0 TFSI engine, exterior differentiation for the Special Edition includes a new standard 17-inch wheel that features a 9 Y-spoke design pattern. Standard interior features for quattro-equipped models include leather-trimmed heated front seats and metallic paint. As a result, models equipped with FrontTrak attain a $405 improved value in new standard equipment, while those with quattro permanent all-wheel drive attain a $1,155 value improvement.

All A4 Special Edition models include a one-year subscription to SIRIUS Satellite Radio, complete with commercial-free music plus sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic, weather and data. Similarly, customers can still choose the full S line and Titanium packages as optional sport upgrades, as well as a full range of individual options. Some of these sophistications include DVD-based Audi Navigation system, Bluetooth hands-free preparation, iPod adaptor, and wood beltline trim.

The A4 is also one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles in its luxury segment. The cutting-edge 2.0 TFSI direct injection engine made the prestigious Ward's 10 Best Engines list for the third consecutive year in 2008, which recognized Audi's expertise with efficient performance and advanced technology.

Safety has also been a top priority for the current model, and the A4 was the first passenger vehicle in its luxury segment to offer brake disc wiping as standard equipment in early 2005. This feature, combined with one of the most advanced and proactive stability control systems ESP 8.0., reduces the chances of inhibited braking performance during wet or inclement weather.

The A4 was one of three Audi models to receive the "Top Safety Pick" designation for 2008 by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), for which it also won in 2007. Audi has the highest number of IIHS "Top Safety Pick" designations within its entire model line in comparison to luxury competitors BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. This category recognizes excellence in top frontal, side, and rear crash performance and the availability of ESP (Electronic Stability Program).

"The Audi A4 has been a star performer for many years as an exciting sport luxury product offering in addition to its outstanding residual value," said Johan de Nysschen, Executive Vice President, Audi of America. "Much attention has been paid to constant enhancements to proactively meet and exceed the most particular customer wishes and tastes."

The A4 Special Edition is expected to be available at authorized U.S. Audi dealer partners by mid March 2008 in both sedan and Avant body styles. For more information about previewing the A4 special edition at the Chicago Auto Show, please visit chicagoautoshow.com.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Special Edition models are usually introduced the last year of a production run. It's meant to keep up interest in a car until the next model intro the following year, by packaging certain items to make it stand apart from a standard model.

Last edited by dragoncoach; 04-24-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragoncoach
Special Edition models are usually introduced the last year of a production run. It's meant to keep up interest in a car until the next model intro the following year, by packaging certain items to make it stand apart from a standard model.
I got ya. That makes a little more sense since it was only on the 08's. I'm glad I got the nicer than stock rims at least.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TAWoody
I am buying an 08 A4 Special Edition. From the research I've done the only thing that's different on the front wheel drive Special Edition models is the different wheels. That's the lamest Special Edition version of any car I've ever seen. Why did they even bother doing this rather than just offering these rims as an optional upgrade for all A4s?
In 2007 Audi introduced a version of the B7 named the 'Special Edition', which built on the S-Line specification and also included the black optics pack, the RS4 style 8J X 18 '7-arm double spoke' design alloy wheels, Two-tone Graphite/Black Volterra leather, 3-spoke sports leather/Alcantara multi-function steering wheel with gear **** and hand brake handle in Alcantara with silver stitching, ventilated cross-drilled front disc-brakes, black tailpipes and black roof rails (Avant model only). It also had a power increase of 20 PS, giving an output of 220 PS on the 2.0T model.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 PM
1st Gear
Default AE 08 Special Edition

Originally Posted by TAWoody
In 2007 Audi introduced a version of the B7 named the 'Special Edition', which built on the S-Line specification and also included the black optics pack, the RS4 style 8J X 18 '7-arm double spoke' design alloy wheels, Two-tone Graphite/Black Volterra leather, 3-spoke sports leather/Alcantara multi-function steering wheel with gear **** and hand brake handle in Alcantara with silver stitching, ventilated cross-drilled front disc-brakes, black tailpipes and black roof rails (Avant model only). It also had a power increase of 20 PS, giving an output of 220 PS on the 2.0T model.