B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2011 8 speed transmission experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 2011 8 speed transmission experiences

Hello to the board, recently waved in a 2011 quartz grey metallic A4 premium quattro and have been loving it for a little over 1k miles so far. I was wondering how everyone is liking their 8 speed auto so far on their new purchases. It keeps it interesting, shifts alot but is still very smooth. Occasionally it surprises me a little when I start on a downhill and roll some. When it decides to kick in it is a bit of a jolt. Also sometimes feel it is in like 6th gear when I could use something more like 3rd but always shifts if I step down harder. Might just be because I have been babying the car. I actually got a calculated 27mpg on my commute out of a tank of 93 premium. I don't hit any highways so I was pretty psyched. Anyone else have any input on their new tranny?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

your car is still learning your driving habits and is adjustng the transmission. it took a couple of months for my transmission to smooth out after i drove it off the lot brand new.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input. I have been driving it kind of like a grandma primarily focused on maximizing the mpg's since it is my daily driver to work. In my mind it has been effective since 27mpg city is above my expectations. I have been under the impression that eventually the car is going to get mad at me and demand that I rev it higher and go and enjoy some smooth twisty country roads!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Just picked up a 2011 Premium Plus FWD with 8sp auto transmission earlier this week, and I agree that the transmission often feels like it should downshift a gear or 2, especially at low speeds and low rpms. Makes the car feel a bit sluggish. Hopefully that will get a little better over the next month or two.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

I am surprised that so few have chimed in on this posting. The 8 speed is new for A4's. I have searched the web and haven't found many reviews of the new 8 speed tranny. I guess everyone likes it and has no complaints so far. I expected to see someone that traded in their 6 speed tip and just got a new 8 speed tip and has comments. Would be great to hear the review from that person with actual seat time. I wonder if it will stick, will all Audi's have 8 speeds in the near future?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

Curious, does anyone's new purchase have the paddle shifters? My '11 Avant, is a premium plus package with the titanium add on.
Wondering if anyone else has been using the paddle shifters or tiptronic option to downshift the car when in high gear and wanting that lower gear for acceleration, instead of stomping on the gas.

Won't have my car for another month or so, but look forward to sharing my experience with this new transmission.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Bradthoc, I had that same idea once although I don't do it much with the tip. I have also considered switching to the sport mode which I assume would shift more aggressively but haven't tested it yet. Guess I will try that on the way home today to see what I get. Still, although there is the occasional near bog due to being too high in gears, I think the payback for a little less performance is the great mpgs. Last tank I calc'd 28mpg for my non-highway commute.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

I've been using the Sport mode, and it is indeed a lot more aggressive. A little too much so, in fact. I'll kick it in Sport mode if I need to accellerate away from standstill more quickly, or if I want to quickly pass someone on the highway. Definitely gives it an extra kick. But for typical driving the Sport mode revs way too high, especially when calmly driving away from stand-still.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mobidutch
I've been using the Sport mode, and it is indeed a lot more aggressive. A little too much so, in fact. I'll kick it in Sport mode if I need to accellerate away from standstill more quickly, or if I want to quickly pass someone on the highway. Definitely gives it an extra kick. But for typical driving the Sport mode revs way too high, especially when calmly driving away from stand-still.
thats what sport mode is for! you drive in (D) but if you need to pass or its a yellow light go right down to (S). I sometimes switch into tip and downshift because its faster then switch sport mode because after you put it in (S) and nail it, theres a little lag.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

I for one am happy I found this post. Thanks much for starting it. I took delivery on a 2011 A4 three weeks ago and have been somewhat concerned about the hard down shifting as i approach stops sign and traffic lights. I had heard from the salesman that at the first service all of my driving information will be uploaded to a computer in Germany and the feedback from that will adjust the car itself to my driving habits. He said the car will drive even better after that is done. I had no idea that the car was learning from the way I drive and making adjustments before the first service. I am glad to know that the shifting will smooth out in time.

Quick Reply: 2011 8 speed transmission experiences