B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 1.8 Manual Transmission Problems

Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Default Audi A4 1.8 Manual Transmission Problems

I have had my Audi A4 Avant Start for one year and had issues with engaging the first gear from day one. After several interventions it would seem the issue has been resolved and now I am having issues when changing from 3rd to 2nd (tried today and could not engage the first gear and it sounded as if I wasn't using the clutch. Calling the dealer again on Monday but these issues must be detrimental for the long term durability of the transmission. Is this a known problem with Service letters or am I the lucky one ??

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

I have a similar problem with my A4... after three attempts to remedy the situation, including the replacement of the sync rings on 2nd gear, the dealership have opted to replace the transmission.

Hopefully I won't have any repeat issues once the transmission is replaced.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 Quattro - Transmission Problems

SAME PROBLEM since the day I drove it off the dealership lot I have had NOTHING but problems with the transmission they finally fixed something after it completely died and left me stranded - but the transmission problem remains -

Problem 1 occurs daily when switching gears car jerks not a smooth transition between gears

Problem 2 occurs monthly car gets "stuck" in gear and won't shift RPM's fly up and finally car jerks and shifts....

What a nightmare dealership says NOTHING is wrong - my 04 Olds Alero runs better than my 09 Audi A4 - $40,000 Car I do believe SOMETHING is wrong - where can I go for help????

Old 01-14-2011, 05:06 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 quattro manual transmission

dazyjmo

Presumably you have the automatic transmission and reside in the US or Canada? However the only way to resolve the issue is through your dealership.

I had to take my car in to the dealership on no less than 4 separate occasions for them to "attempt to remedy" the situation over the last 6 months.

Each time, they gave me a summary of the items that they replaced or adjusted, which I usually contested as not being physically possible to remedy the situation - such as adjusting the gear linkage. On every occasion, I have politely suggested that the best solution for both parties would be to replace the transmission.

The first time I went to the dealership, they claimed that the synchronisation rings in the gearbox were not covered under warranty. I responded by politely emailing them Audi's own legal documentation on warranty cover which clearly states that everything inside the gearbox is covered with the exclusion of clutches.

On the third attempt, Audi took the car in for 4 days and replaced the synchronisation rings and the drive gears on second gear. I drove the car approximately 200 miles before coming to the conclusion that this had not fixed the issue.

The 4th time I took the car into the dealership and asked a mechanic to take a test drive with me so that I could fully demonstrate the problem. If the problem is intermittent, you will have to go out and try to replicate it before asking the mechanics to ride shotgun with you.

Audi have now agreed to replace the transmission and this will be done next week.

Persistence and politeness is key to resolving your problem. All dealerships prefer to spend a large number of workshop hours 'investigating' and trying to remedy problems when it is covered by warranty because the manufacturer will reimburse them for the workshop hours. Importantly, if you go into the dealership threatening legal action or demanding a 'buy-back' due to the lemon law, it will just take you longer get it fixed.

Finally, after Audi failed to resolve the issue the first time round, I have communicated with the dealership by email only. This is to cover my backside if they fail to resolve the situation before the warranty cover runs out (warranty in Europe is just 2 years).

Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Dealership

Yes I have been working with the dealership since the 1st week I drove it off the lot I have had this problem, and they tell me the same thing they kept telling you - the problem never happens when we drive it for 2 minutes around the block.....

It's intermittent!! I want to scream. I have had the car in 5 times for this and it keeps getting worse. Last time in November when the car actually died at a stop light I refused to drive it anymore. They took it in and said they found fluid in the transmissin pan and they replaced the atf strainer and 1 1/2 qt of transmission fluid. It ran great for 1 (yes I said 1) day. Then started acting up again > This is the only time they have actually acknowledged any problem with the car.

Another transmission problem I have is you can "feel" the car change gears very prevelant between 1st and 2nd a big jerking feeling and sometime between the other gears too. It's pretty sad that my 04 Alero runs better than my 09 Audi.

FYI I live in the US - dealership is in Iowa car is the 09 A4 Sedan 2.0 T quattro Tiptronic premium plus model and at this point I would just trade it in but they talked me in to buying the extended warranty, maintenance, and all that for an extra $3,000 and I don't want to lose that $$ too....

"Truth in Engineering" (my a....!!)

Thanks for your advice I will start my email thread to the dealership today! I have all my past paperwork and am armed with my pen (aka computer)