B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 B8 Battery Coding

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by headache56
Fantastic, excellent news. Really well done on you Rob.
Wish i could say the same for Audi. £260 for a battery replacement, and they couldn't even do that properly even after taking it back twice!

Technology is wonderful (sometimes), but if a main dealer cannot even install a battery properly then there is not much hope.....

Old 09-25-2013, 04:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Battery problem audi a4 b8

Dear All,

I see here you are discussing a battery problems.
Currently i replaced the fourth battery on my Audi and i well coded it.
I saw in a forums somebody says it must be telephone.
I have installed Led tail light in my both Audi A4 B8 ( i have 2 of them) and one is perfect this one is really bringing me troubles.
During the drive it fills the battery 100 % when i stop the car during night it discharge into 10-15 %.
I went to some services they said battery, i changed it again same problem.
Other said Led tail lights , i disconnected and put the original Audi tail lights , same problem.

Can anybody help me where to check , i have Vcds and cable but there is not any malfunction during auto scan or where should be the problem?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Battery Discharging Audi A4 B8

Dear All,

I have installed Led tail light in my both Audi A4 B8 ( i have 2 of them) and one is perfect this one is really bringing me troubles.(Problem happened 3 months after i installed LED tail lights)
During the drive it fills the battery 100 % when i stop the car during night it discharge into 10-15 %.
Other said Led tail lights , i disconnected and put the original Audi tail lights , same problem.

Can anybody help me where to check , i have Vcds and cable but there is not any malfunction during auto scan or where should be the problem?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gashi_bekim
Dear All,

I have installed Led tail light in my both Audi A4 B8 ( i have 2 of them) and one is perfect this one is really bringing me troubles.(Problem happened 3 months after i installed LED tail lights)

Where are you seeing the 10-15% charge level, on the MMI screen? The reason i ask is that it could be a red herring, in that the MMI display does not always accurately reflect the actual charge of the battery. I looked at mine again in VCDS the other day and the MMI showed 30% battery remaining, where as the actual charge was 75%.

You can view this information in VCDS under 19-CAN gateway > Measuring Blocks > select groups 18,19 and 20.

You will see the actual charge level compared to the charge showing under MMI.

Failing this then you obviously have a battery drain coming from somewhere, although if you do it is strange that it is not being picked up during a scan.

Last edited by robst3r; 10-15-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM
1st Gear
Default battery drain

Thanks for reply.
I have vcds and cable and already checked in the Can Gateway menu measuring blocks.
I found that when i remove the Radio fuse at the back.side fuse box battery stop draining.
i'm checking drain also.with can gateway menu if the fuse is on the place car discharges the battery 4.8 -4.9 amp.
when i remove it and close the car after approx 1 min. Everything turns off and not discharge battery anymore.
so do you have suggestion where should be the problem. When car is on and off everything working perfect.
no malfunctions during scan.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gashi_bekim
Thanks for reply.
I have vcds and cable and already checked in the Can Gateway menu measuring blocks.
I found that when i remove the Radio fuse at the back.side fuse box battery stop draining.
i'm checking drain also.with can gateway menu if the fuse is on the place car discharges the battery 4.8 -4.9 amp.
when i remove it and close the car after approx 1 min. Everything turns off and not discharge battery anymore.
so do you have suggestion where should be the problem. When car is on and off everything working perfect.
no malfunctions during scan.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, I know it's old thread, but i did you found solution?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

Hi ,

Now i sold my Audi A4, but yes i solved the problem.
This problem of draining battery to my case happened because i activated bluetooth to the Hidden Menu.
I deactivated it again but problem still happen.
I purchased AUDI MMI update discs (3 pcs) on ebay and it solved my problem.
You should go to the update mmi on your hidden menu and then put Cd one by one in car Cd player not in the dvd player .

This Cd's remove the features which cause problems to the car. After that everything was fine.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Smile Draining battery

I have the same issue with my car and my alternator and battery were both replaced in May 2017. The voltage went down from V12.75 to V12.40 overnight. I am going to check for voltage draw this weekend and I will update the progress.

Note: The alternator is providing V13.8 to low V14 when the car running. My car does not have Audi battery instead the previous owner installed Duralast.

Also read Codes: 00446: Function Limitation Due to Insufficient Voltage and 0053: Supply voltage. Not sure if because of having none Audi battery and the shop installed them cannot code the new battery to the car.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by robst3r
Hi Kevin,

Your thoughts are absolutely spot on, and i am pleased to say that after nearly 2 years i have fixed it myself using VCDS!

As you rightly said i believe that my car has been stuck in power saving mode, and hadn't learnt about the new battery.

This is how i fixed it for any poor souls who are still trying;

1. Viewed the state of the battery in VCDS under 19-CAN gateway > Measuring Blocks > Groups 18,19 and 20

2. Noticed that the battery state of charge was healthy at 77%, but the battery state in MMI was at 10%. This value did not change which explains why the low battery warning was always displayed. After monitoring for 15 minutes with the ignition on, the state of charge was increasing, but the MMI display information did not alter.

3. I viewed the current BEM code in VCDS under 19-CAN Gateway _> Long Adaptation -> Channel 4 -> Battery identification). The code that was stored here was different to the BEM on the battery, so i knew that it hadn't been applied.

4. I applied the BEM code in the following manner - Part number i kept the same as before, then entered the new information as follows;

- (N) Part number - (11 digits) - kept this the same as the previous battery.
- (V) Vendor code - (3 digits) - in my case VA0 for Varta
- (S) Serial number (10 digits, but leaving out the starting 3 digits of manufacturer)

NNNNNNNNNNN VVV SSSSSSSSSS

5. Restarted the car, and behold, the MMI battery state was at 100%!

Battery is charging fine, and the car is now out of power saving mode and running perfectly!

I think the rule of thumb here is that if the battery is replaced before the car goes into power saving mode, then it will probably learn about the new battery itself. If the 10% MMI state has been reached, then it will need coding.

Important to note that this battery was an Audi OEM, hence the BEM code being visible on it - so anybody who is thinking of doing a battery change themselves, i would suggest spending a bit more and using an OEM to be sure.

Regards

Rob
Read a long discussion about the battery replacement issue somewhere - can't remember. But the solution is to simply change a single digit in the battery identification code. It has nothing to do with the actual battery - the altered ID # tells the computer that it is a different battery. I think this whole code thing is simply a ploy to get us to buy and have installed at the dealer - for $500 or so. It has certainly soured me for sure. If you can't get a battery replaced without spending an arm and a leg, it's time for a change.