B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Bang and Olfsun speakers. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM

How is the stock system built? Does each speaker have it's own built-in amp or do they all (except for the sub) draw power direct from the head unit?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:42 AM

I'm reviving this older thread so that I don't have to start a new one. I was interested in changing out the subwoofer from the Audi B8 A4 to something like an Elemental Designs sub driver and maybe add an amplifier. Where is the stock unit located? Is it an easy change up? I don't want to really add another box. How big is the stock subwoofer?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

OMG get the B&O system. I'm a huge fan of upgrading radios when I buy cars and I feel that this system is perfect. I'd love a bit more bottom end but that is sooooo trivial and I like it over the top anyways. The B&O system is the best factory radio setup I have ever owned.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

I did try both the standard Audi Concert as well as BO and I'm apparently the only one who did not notice whole lot of difference (or at least $800+ worth of difference) but I'm not a car sound system fineschmecker any more...
The dealer did say, however, that the real difference is when listening to the BO systems in upscale models such as the A8 but in such car the BO upgrade is more like a $3000+ option. In other words the $800+ upgrade on the A4 will give you some improvement but its not the best BO can do, so the question is whether it is worth to spend $800 on something that goes only half way, if not less.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

I test drove A4s with both sound setups - the comparison isn't even close. However, after market audio is one of the easiest things to do, if you have the base system.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

Definitely worth it. I've had my A4 for almost a year and I still love the sound from the B&O. I could listen to them for hours. SO glad I didn't go for the stock system. It definitely makes this car special when I drive it.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

let me be a disenter, I don't really care to spend much money on car audio. My recent loaner had the B&O speakers and I didn't think it sounded all that fantastic. Really with all audio decisions they should be made with your ears. Mine are pretty well worn out.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
1st Gear
Default No Memory for Sound

I just picked up an 2011 Premium Plus car with Nav and B&O this evening and I am so very glad I spent the extra money on the B&O option.

My Audi dealer was pretty accomdating (see my other post about getting my car Audi Willow Grove PA). I was talking with the sales manager and told him I wasn't sold on the B&O and he said alright give me a minute, and he arranged to have two cars right next to each other, one with the stock Bose system and the other with the B&O, they put on the same HD station on the radio in each car and I went back and forth in each car for about 10 minutes. I was sold immediately... B&O is a no brainer.. .

If you have the time, ask your dealer to arrange a two car comparo and judge for your self.

I also agree with some of the others that after market is an easy option, but you can't beat the stock integration with all of the technoolgy (Blue tooth, Nav, voice command, and Phone) If you are going to do an after market system with that level of intgration, I am of the opinion your $ is better spent on the B&O option.. Mind you that the B&O is not the best sytem I have ever heard, but it is an option well worth consideration especially if you listen to your music loud and appreciate a cleaner sound at louder volumes..

My 2 cents..