B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Bluetooth Streaming Audio

Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Which adapter do you have?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

I also own an 2011 A4 Premium Plus without the navigation system. I didn't want to spend another $2-3k for something that my iPhone can do (and more).

I was also sad to see that the built in bluetooth system doesn't stream audio from my phone. What a letdown. I bought this back in late 2010. I resorted to a car charger/radio cable. but sometimes the radio cuts out or battles with an existing channel once i leave my area.

I don't really want to pay $200 for the BT adapter via the AMI. seems like it's something that should have been included.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by idgara73612
OK, so I've been talking with my dealer a lot about this, and it's new to him too, so he's been in contact with some tech guy higher up in Audi supposedly, and here is what I've got...

First, the difference between AMI and MMI, which threw me off, so hopefully someone else will find this helpful. This is for my 2011 A4... I don't know what other years/models it may apply to.
-MMI (Multi-Media Interface) is just the screen/**** system that controls the radio/sat/cd/settings/etc.
-AMI (Audi Music Interface) is the link between the MMI system and your Ipod or other mp3 device. It is a port in the glove box that you can attach different cables to for different music devices.

-There is also a MMI Navigation Plus Package that adds the Nav, HD radio, hard drive, and backup camera to the existing MMI.

The only thing i don't know is what the differences are between the 2G and 3G versions of the MMI. I don't know if it's a model year difference, or package difference... if anyone knows, please fill me in.

So now, onto BT...
The built-in BT only works with phone calls and contact lists... not media. The adapter I spoke of includes 3 pieces:
1) AMI USB cable
2) flash drive with MMI software update
3) USB BT adapter
As I understand it, here is how it would work... You attach the USB cable to the AMI in the glove box, and update the MMI with the new BT software on the flash drive. This update will effectively disable the built-in BT receiver. That's why you now have to plug in the new BT adapter (which supports media streaming) to the USB cable. This adapter now takes over the job of the built-in one for phone calls, but also now supports media streaming as well. When you now connect your phone to BT, the call functions will work the same way they always have, but now you will also see your phone under Media>Sources to play music.

Now, supposedly this adapter only works with the 2G systems, and not the 3G systems... I don't know why, and as i said earlier, i don't know how to tell the difference either.

Noah G, I don't know if you could use a generic BT adapter if you already had the update installed - never thought about that. I guess it makes sense that you could. But the kit comes with all 3 pieces, so unless you could get the software update somewhere else (i.e. a buddy who already bought the kit), i dont know if it would help you. That would mean you only have to buy the AMI USB cable, which would definitely save some money. If you figure it out, let me know!

And in case anyone is interested, thru my dealer the BT adapter is like $240. If you went with Noah G's route, the AMI USB cable alone is about $60. But you can obviously get both of those cheaper other places. Just for reference.
Nice explanation dude! At last, someone pull up normal words to explain all the MMI AMI´s stuff that was a mess.

Just a question: it is 100% possible that a car with MMI can be updated to AMI .. Am i right ??

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to dig up this thread, but have been searching for solutions for my '11 without the MMI (No nav). I have the ami interface, but only the ipod cable. After talking with audi of america several times about this as well as the dealer, they have no idea about the bluetooth adapter mentioned earlier in this thread, and have no solutions. The only aftermarket options I have come across are the modified ami cables with bluetooth dongles attached, however they are only for the MMI systems I believe.

Is there anything out there for just the AMI systems (no mmi) for this functionality? I was thinking the usb ami cable, with an attached bluetooth adapter, however it would need to get power from the usb cable. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited by SweetLou122; 02-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

My solution. I use an NFC sticker to trigger it on/off

Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SweetLou122
Sorry to dig up this thread, but have been searching for solutions for my '11 without the MMI (No nav). I have the ami interface, but only the ipod cable. After talking with audi of america several times about this as well as the dealer, they have no idea about the bluetooth adapter mentioned earlier in this thread, and have no solutions. The only aftermarket options I have come across are the modified ami cables with bluetooth dongles attached, however they are only for the MMI systems I believe.

Is there anything out there for just the AMI systems (no mmi) for this functionality? I was thinking the usb ami cable, with an attached bluetooth adapter, however it would need to get power from the usb cable. Has anyone tried this?
i solved your problem, i've been working on it for a while now. its works on all audi's non nav or even the older 2G MMI's. this is something u can install yourself. i made it so that its plug and play. if interested PM me and i can send u some info and pics of what i got. here is a pic of the cable.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...na/image-2.jpg

Old 05-19-2013, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2011 A4 with no cable in the glove box

Hi all, new to the forum. I have a B8 A4 with what seems to be "mmi" but no "ami" ? It's a Premium that only has the aux-in in the arm rest, and an SD card. I'm trying to figure out how to get my iPhone to stream music over blue tooth - it seems that the solution above featuring the
logitech device logitech device
could work - but I'm wondering if that box is specifically the one that does work (should I get that one)? Or is there a better one that would allow for usb charging now?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Siggs
Hi all, new to the forum. I have a B8 A4 with what seems to be "mmi" but no "ami" ? It's a Premium that only has the aux-in in the arm rest, and an SD card. I'm trying to figure out how to get my iPhone to stream music over blue tooth - it seems that the solution above featuring the logitech device could work - but I'm wondering if that box is specifically the one that does work (should I get that one)? Or is there a better one that would allow for usb charging now?
If your A4 is a 2013 with nav, then it comes with bluetooth streaming. Also do u not have the AMI box in the glovebox? If not then u can get a aux bluetooth streaming, the only bad is that it needs to be charged since its not supplied power

Last edited by mrcgodina; 05-20-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

The car is a 2011, and no, unfortunately it doesnt have the adapter in the glove box. I was convinced to get the SD card only - which turned out to be a mistake! Is there any way to get this iPhone to stream through the audio system at all without a massive costly upgrade?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Siggs
The car is a 2011, and no, unfortunately it doesnt have the adapter in the glove box. I was convinced to get the SD card only - which turned out to be a mistake! Is there any way to get this iPhone to stream through the audio system at all without a massive costly upgrade?
Yes theres a cheapy way... An auxilary bluetooth streamer... It plugs in right to the aux. port...They're pretty cheap, the only bad is that u have to charge it and last a couple of hours

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Audio