B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

ESP, Parking Brake Malfunction and Light range control Unit faults

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 AM
1st Gear
Default ESP, Parking Brake Malfunction and Light range control Unit faults

Hi guys,

I have an Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 Tfsi 155kW 2009 model. When I try to start it in the mornings, it doesn't want to start and it would keep showing me the following faults:-
  • ESP Fault: see owner's manual
  • Headlight range control defective!
  • Alternate fault: Battery is not being charged
  • Parking brake malfunction
While the "EPC" , "Check Engine" and the "ESP" amber lights stay illuminated on the cluster. After a few attempts of switching it ON and OFF while removing the key from the ignition..., the car will then eventually start.
This problem often also comes up while I am driving, and when it comes.., the car will shut itself down and refuses to start again, until after again a few attempts of switching it ON and OFF and removing the key from the ignition. Ever since this started, a lot of other things are no longer working..., i.e. central locking, opening/closing windows using the immobilizer. My main concern here is the fact that it shuts down in the middle of the road whilst driving in a lot of traffic, and that can be very dangerous because the steering wheel locks and the hand break (parking brake) will also refuse to engage.

What could be the problem??

Last edited by NkosiMB; 08-20-2018 at 08:48 AM.