B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Key getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Default Key getting stuck

Every once and a while after turning the car off, the key gets stuck and I have to turn it back on and off again to get it out. I've tried making sure that my foot was on the brake and either way it happens sometimes.

I'm going to ask the dealer about it, but has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
1st Gear
Default My B8 isn't delivered yet

but I did see a few threads several months ago. I think you just need to push it in first everytime, not pull.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Issaquah_Coug
but I did see a few threads several months ago. I think you just need to push it in first everytime, not pull.
You have to push it in to turn off the engine, so that's not it. Unless its a matter of how hard you push.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

You have to push it in wait a sec then pull the key out, if you do it too rapidly it will get stuck, just have a second more bit of patience

Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by stathound
You have to push it in wait a sec then pull the key out, if you do it too rapidly it will get stuck, just have a second more bit of patience
So do you hold it in the "pushed in" position for longer, or just wait for a second after the engine cuts off to pull it out?

Haha, I just realized how ridiculous this thread is

Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Searched the issue on another site:

"It was fixed when I realized that when I pushed the key to turn the car off, DO NOT PULL on the key. Just push it, the car turns off and you will hear a slight click, then you can pull the key out. You almost have to wait 2 seconds for it to release. I have not had it get stuck again, after realizing this."

Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

If you have other keys attached to the fob you should remove them....I had this problem ALL the time when I had other keys attached...after removing the other keys, my key gets stuck very infrequently now.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Issaquah_Coug
"It was fixed when I realized that when I pushed the key to turn the car off, DO NOT PULL on the key. Just push it, the car turns off and you will hear a slight click, then you can pull the key out. You almost have to wait 2 seconds for it to release. I have not had it get stuck again, after realizing this."
Having to wait two seconds seems a bit long. Mine releases immediately.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by audi40
If you have other keys attached to the fob you should remove them....I had this problem ALL the time when I had other keys attached...after removing the other keys, my key gets stuck very infrequently now.
Good advice. Not only do they put undue stress on the ignition, they swing around scratching up the dash and tend to be a bit noisey.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
mkc
1st Gear

A number of people in a UK forum had this "fault". Dealer explained that its not a fault.
You push the keyfob in, it ejects and clicks. Then you can pull it out. If you push and then pull straight away it gets stuck.

Not a fault, just need to clear on the motions of ejecting the key. It is a nightmare tho, just after I got the A4 I stalled a number of times and being stuck in car half on and half off an English round about with cars coming from all directions fecking about with the key, electro handbrake etc its a nightmare.

Quick Reply: Key getting stuck