B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Key getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
mkc
1st Gear

A number of people in a UK forum had this "fault". Dealer explained that its not a fault.
You push the keyfob in, it ejects and clicks. Then you can pull it out. If you push and then pull straight away it gets stuck.

Not a fault, just need to clear on the motion of ejecting the key. It is a nightmare tho, just after I got the A4 I stalled a number of times and being stuck in car half on and half off a English round about with cars coming from all direction fecking about with the key, electro handbrake etc its a nightmare. I had the full start/stop button in my 1Series BMW and its cool for about 2 days, then you want the proper Key and ignition back

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by poppy
Having to wait two seconds seems a bit long. Mine releases immediately.
That seems to be the problem with mine too, it does release pretty much immediately, but I guess sometimes I'm too quick to grab it.

Audi may say it's not a fault, but if the car is off you should be able to pull the key out. I could understand it it wouldn't let you if its in the process of turning off, but for it to get stuck and have to turn the car on and off again doesn't make sense.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by robfarmer
That seems to be the problem with mine too, it does release pretty much immediately, but I guess sometimes I'm too quick to grab it.

Audi may say it's not a fault, but if the car is off you should be able to pull the key out. I could understand it it wouldn't let you if its in the process of turning off, but for it to get stuck and have to turn the car on and off again doesn't make sense.
Likely takes a second or two to store data to the processor on the key once engine is turned off...

Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Key stuck in ignition

Don't let this happen to you! My 2005 A6 (60K miles) has the key sticking in the ignition when the car is turned off. This has been going on for a year and the dealer claims cannot fix as it is an "intermittent problem". Finally happened and after charging $150 to find the problem, now says it will be at least $400 more and probably $2600 MORE after that. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and as Audi NA referred me back to the dealer there appears to be a stone wall. Dealer makes it out like I have the ONLY car with this problem and does not even stock the parts. This is a security and safety issue if you have to park the car with the key in the ignition. A disgrace for a $60,000 car.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM
1st Gear
Smile Key stuck Audi 2009

Hello Audi friends. I am previous owner of a 2002 audi a4 and yes I've experienced all the glorious problems we go through with audi. My sister has recently bough an Audi a4 2.0 2009. She has 30,000 miles on it (current) and recently has experienced the key getting stuck in the ignition. Ive looked at the forms hear and various youtube videos of this problem. Some helpful tips but none that helped me.

What ive noticed is that when one chooses to park the car, The car will not engage in PARK. Even after turning the car off the key will not turn down all the way to off. IT stays in accessory/on. I tried the key tricks everyone talks about and nothing worked. But what caught my was that the button on the shifter was not out as it should be when you slide the shifter to the park position. Once I noticed that I hate to say it but I banged it around alittle abit and guess what. The button on the shifter finally engaged/popped out and the key came out as easy as it should.

Hope this helps anyone else out there that has a similar problem.

July 5, 2015

Old 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Ignition key sticking

This problem ongoing for years with my 2005 A6 3.2. Dealer wanted to take entire ignition system apart and replace with no guarantee it would work. It stopped for a while after I stopped putting tranny into neutral at traffic lights and leaving in drive. Then it started again, but not all the time (of course). What I find now seems to work is shoving the stick hard into PARK. Then removing the key smoothly and rapidly with a slight upward tilt. When this doesn't work I take my spare key, put the sunscreen in the window, and hang a black hat off the key and pray. Then I manually lock it from the outside. So far the car has not been stolen.