B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Hi!

I swore I'd never own another Audi again due to the problematic issues with these cars, but they are great, and I ended up buying an 09 A4 2.0T w/ 80K miles. Within the first 50 miles of driving, the "add oil" light came on, and thought nothing of it. Just added oil, and on the MMI, it read full. within 200 miles, did it again! and then again! I ended up adding 3 qts within 500 miles of driving. I thought I made another fatal mistake again for buying an Audi, and everyone around me (never listen to friends anymore), said that the turbo is gone, you're blowing it out your tailpipe, etc. So I brought it to the dealer I purchased it used (not an Audi dealer), and they couldn't figure it out... So I bite my lip, and went to the Audi dealer in Rutland, VT thinking great, open up my wallet and dish out thousands to get this problem fixed, right? Wrong. Apparently it's a common defect in these motors around 2009/2010 to have this issue. They performed a "stage 1" repair which was a crank case vent, and seal, did a multi-point inspection, washed, and vacuumed my car. Called to come and get it, and the cost? $0.00!! They said that AUDI is taking ownership of this issue, and wants it correct. They then told me to drive it normally, and if I notice no improvement, and the light comes on, get the car back so they can perform "stage 2" which are the rings, etc. Well, 150 miles later, and not even an once of oil burnt yet, and no more black smoke during accelerations. Perhaps its too early to tell, but success for the first time owning a German vehicle! others I owned where 2001 and a 2004 passat 4motion, and a 2003 a6 2.7t (scary one). AUDI did the right thing, and I am more than pleased. thought I'd share a success story, and world class dealer service!!!!!! Thanks Kinney Audi in Rutland!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Well, it's been 300 miles, and I figured I was in the clear, but as I look behind me at traffic lights, I still see smoke pouring out of my tailpipe, and noticed the MMI is telling me I've dropped 3/4 quart, so I am bringing back to Audi for stage 2. I will keep you informed. Dealer was very polite, and able to give a loaner until we figure out a solution.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

UPDATE...brought into audi, and it did fail the oil consumption testing, so they are replacing rings/pistons, etc...free of charge, along with a loaner....takes about a week. What sucks was that the check engine light came on, and it was diagnosed as a worn out waste gate linkage, which means turbo replacement....$2300!!! OUCH, for a car I've had for 20 days, and 15 have been spent in a shop. Needless to say, I am pissed....I called the dealer that sold me the car, and they'll "get back to me" to see if they are willing to do anything. I am just upset. Back to my first post, this is why I stay away from Audi's....I'll let you know what happens next

Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Update...11.21.2013

HI!

Sorry for this delay. I got my Audi back at 82K miles on it with the new rings/etc. I just clicked 86K, and show NO loss of oil, nor any smoke at all. So 4K miles later, I feel good that I am in the clear. Also, they didn't replace the turbo, as the dealer I bought it from said that they'll replace this if it's an issue, but they felt the the CEL came on because of the smog, and oil going through the turbo. I again, responding to let you all know that no CEL light came on either......

...Here's my ONLY concern. With all of the oil flow-by, does this cause long term damage to the exhaust system, and sensors?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

My 2010 A4 is having oil consumption issue and the dealer is refusing to do any sort of diagnosis unless I pay. (I bought this car from this Audi dealer as well)

It's sitting at 70k miles and there's no warranty so I need to pay for all, they say.

Did dealer just take care of it for you with 82k miles on the car?

Maybe I should call AoA or something. Any suggestions?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

I did call AoA, and they advised me to go to this specific dealer...It also helped that they called them on my behalf too. It's absolutely rediculous that they won't help. Best advice if you call AoA, take it to another Audi Dealer. The one I took it to was 2 hours away from me. It was a pain in the A$$, but it was fixed, no issues, and not a dime out of pocket. Where do you live? Or should I ask, what dealer are you trying to take this to? Did you just buy it, or have you had it for some time?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

It's been bout a month so far and I am planning on replacing PCV on my own. I used to have older model audi and this part is just prone to fail for majority of turbo engines that I've seen from VW/Audi. I am pretty sure they will say replace this part in 'Stage 1' for my vehicle because I am almost positive that it is shot.

One thing I am not 100% sure is that PCV is the SOLE cause of the oil consumption or not. I guess that's the point where I will have to bother AoA and dealers to figure it out. But from my previous experience, that cured the issue.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

We have a 2010 Audi A4 bought new and never abused. Around 32K miles we started experiencing oil consumption, added oil, then a few weeks later decided to have the oil changed well before it was required. 2,200 miles later the low oil light came on and I believe we had to add a quart. This happened again after approx. 2,000 miles. We had oil consumption test #1 where seals, pcv, and mapping changed, driven 700 miles and told it is using .3 quarts per 1,000 miles and therefore Audi says we are within spec. and no additional repair is required. They used some special technique to determine how much oil was actually used + extrapolation from 700 to 1,000 miles. But still that works out to having to add a quart of oil every 3,000 miles which is much less than half of the miles of the 10,000 miles oil change interval. My 2011 BMW 328 uses 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles or so, but then I change it. I don't think it is reasonable to pay 38k+ for a car and have to add oil multiple times between oil change intervals. Hell I am replacing the oil as a function of the oil change interval. Not happy about the quality. I have owned many Japanese and American cars (that cost much less) that did not have this kind of oil consumption. Otherwise I like the car. At this point, however, I will not buy another Audi.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Just an FYI I also work at an Audi dealer. Audi is taking care of the oil consumption on the cars in this 2009 area. But be patient as they can take 2-3 steps to get through the oil consumption tests. First step is a TSB that replaces the pcv valve, crank seal & bolt, and a software update. Then they have you bring it back to check on the consumption rate after that. If it is out of limits Audi will provide auth to replace the pistons and rings. If you all have any questions feel free to let me know. I have an 09 and have been on both sides of the counter with this issue so have some experience with it. I'm 2500 miles and no consumption issues even with APR tuning in mine. Most dealerships should know about this but don't let them run you off tell them to search for the TSB and perform the needed repairs and tests.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

J nanny, do you know if that is the consensus with all the dealerships, or just some? I have a 2010 with 65,000 on it, consuming like nobody's business. I can be as patient as I need to be to get it fixed, without getting killed out of pocket.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!