B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear

I've owned my 2.7T for 9 years and at 230k, it does not leak a drop of oil between changes. It runs solid, but lately has been starting a little hard and I have been thinking of replacing it with a 2011-12 A4 2.0T MT6. Reading all these posts about oil consumption are a major concern. I would consider a 3.2 but I am not sure they come MT6, and I wanted to stay away from the S4 (I am less interested in speed and more in gas mileage, besides I have a very fast Crossfire SRT6). What is an Audi lover to do??

PS - Even my daughter's 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 with 112k does not lose oil between changes. But I need something a lot newer although I really like this body style.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:31 PM
1st Gear
Question 2009 A4 2.0t oil consumption

My 2009 A4 Avant with 71,000 miles is consuming oil at a rate of 1 quart per 800 miles now. It has progressively gotten worse since I purchased the vehicle 3 months ago. It started out at about 1 quart per 1200 miles. I did some research and the PCV valve has already been replaced on my car. I contacted my local dealer and they told me that I would need to get an oil consumption test that would cost me $250 to start. If it fails they then told me that Audi may or may not help with the 2nd stage repair of the piston rings and pistons and that it would probably be a $500 dollar deductible if they did. I contacted AoA and they told me that this issue was at the dealers discretion to cooperate and that it helps if you have a relationship established with the dealer over time. I did not purchase the vehicle from the local Audi dealer here in Birmingham, AL. That did not seem to matter though in some of the cases in this forum thread. How do I get AoA to call on my behalf to the dealer? Is there a dealer that might cooperate with this issue perhaps in another city close to Birmingham?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
I've owned my 2.7T for 9 years and at 230k, it does not leak a drop of oil between changes. It runs solid, but lately has been starting a little hard and I have been thinking of replacing it with a 2011-12 A4 2.0T MT6. Reading all these posts about oil consumption are a major concern. I would consider a 3.2 but I am not sure they come MT6, and I wanted to stay away from the S4 (I am less interested in speed and more in gas mileage, besides I have a very fast Crossfire SRT6). What is an Audi lover to do??

PS - Even my daughter's 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 with 112k does not lose oil between changes. But I need something a lot newer although I really like this body style.
I venture to say all of the cars on these form that burn oil are the 2.0L turbo engines. I have not seen any reports of the V6 engines having an oil problem. If you buy the 2.0L then it is a crap shoot as to how much oil you will burn. Some do better then others but they all burn it to some degree. They do not leak but they burn. This is an engine design flaw that Audi claims to be a piston ring problem. If it is from "bad" rings then Audi has a quality control problem. It all started with the 2.0L engine and is still a problem with the 2014's . Good luck.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:03 AM
1st Gear
Default 2010 A5 76k miles

Wondering what the chances are that Audi will take care of mine. I Bought my 2010 A5 Cabriolet from Aid of Hunt Valley in November 2013. (on black Friday to be exact) At the time it had just under 60k miles on it. It was NOT certified, but still at an Audi dealership. In the time that I've had it, I had to take it back once to have the PCV valve replaced (this was within the 1st 1000 miles after I bought it so it was done for free) and since then, it has consumed oil excessively. It now has just over 76k miles on it and it seems to be getting worse (about 1 quart per 500 miles), so I e-mailed AoA and they referred me to the dealership where I bought the car. Said they called the service mgr there and advised them of the issue. Told me to call them to schedule bringing it in. I did so and they actually are taking a look at it for me and even gave me a loaner (A pretty sweet Q5 I might add), all free of charge. I also did buy a power train warranty from the dealership when I bought the car. What are the chances that Audi will take care of it for me? Any thoughts?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

Took wife's 2009 Cabriolet into dealer today. They were pretty optimistic that I had the problem described here as we are going thru a quart every 800 miles or so.

The findings? Here it is:
Your 2009 A4 Cabriolet has an older generation engine in it, which is typical for the Audi Cab's. This is a "belt motor" not a chain motor like the newer ones and it does not fall into the category of the problematic oil consumption vehicles. However, it does have a major oil leak and a faulty PCV regulating valve that can account for the oil consumption. (see attached estimates)

Also, both engine mounts have ruptured and are allowing the motor to move around more than normal. It can lead to more costly repairs down the road if it goes un-repaired.

Does this make sense? When you run the VIN Decoder it comes back with:
Engine TypeGas I4 Displacement 2.0L/121
Fuel SystemFSI SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM265 @ 6500
SAE Net Torque @ RPM243 @ 3000-5000

Am I being led astray?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Oil Consumption Lawsuit

I am new to this forum but thought I would add to the wealth of knowledge and experience. I own a 2011 Audi Q5. Love the car. Now, I am having oil consumption issues. I go about 800 miles before I have to add oil. My car is going in tomorrow for the Stage 1 test.

Had an interesting conversation with the dealer. Is everyone aware that there was a lawsuit that was settled in September of 2014 in California that states that Audi/Volkswagen will provide free service if the owner can show documentary proof of compliance with their vehicle's oil and oil filter maintenance compliance? And can show that they are consuming oil outside of the "norm", whatever that is? Owners who have already paid for a service adjustment in part or whole will be reimbursed. I informed the dealer of this lawsuit. He told me that I seem to know more than they do. Really?

Anyway, if you are interested in looking at the settlement, you can find it at Law News | Law Daily Reporting Suite ? Wolters Kluwer Law & Business.

I will let you know what happens at the dealer. I have put 3 quarts of oil in my vehicle within 2400 miles. Not good. I really love the vehicle and would hate to have to get rid of it.

Last edited by Oberon01; 12-11-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up More Good News from Ohio

Our 2.0T oil consumption story: We are the 3rd owners of a 2009 A4 Quattro 2.0T 6MT; we purchased the car from an independent pre-owned dealer in Ft Wayne, IN, in August. After a few 100-mile-round-trip commutes, we notice a decreasing engine oil level on the MMI display. Following a 700-mile weekend roadtrip in early October, the MMI display was at zero-bars (but no "Add Oil" light yet), so I brought the car around to the local Audi dealer (Audi Sylvania) for a chat. The SA with whom I spoke suggested that we start the measurement test ASAP. We did this at 92,408 miles, which appeared to be a measured oil top-up (for $155). The SA told us to bring the car back when the "Add Oil" light came on again.

About 1,600 mile later (at just over 94k miles), the MMI level was down to 1 bar, I was out-of-town for work (not driving the car daily), and we were looking at a long Thanksgiving holiday roadtrip coming up during which the engine oil warning light was likely to come on (a long away from home).

After discussing this with the local dealer's service rep (not an SA), my wife brought the car over to the dealer to have the remaining engine oil measured; they found that it was using about 0.57 quart per 1,000 miles. According to the SA who spoke with my wife, the cut-off for getting new pistons/rings covered appears to be 0.4 quart per 1,000 miles. So we got on their calendar to start the work on Dec 8th.

We left our car with Audi Sylvania on Dec 8th (with just over 95k miles), and they sent me off with a brand-new 2015 A4 S-line loaner with 140 miles on the odometer. The piston/ring replacement work was completed that Friday. According to the repair receipt, I estimate the list cost of parts to be over $1,300.

Then a little side story: When we got our car back, I noticed the exhaust note at lower speeds (say, under 20 mph) was a little throatier (I owned a '69 MG Midget a long time ago, and it brought back certain pleasant memories); at highway speeds, it wasn't noticeable, so I wasn't concerned by it. Then, 9 days & 500 miles later, on a Sunday evening, my wife & I were driving home from running some pre-holiday errands when the front exhaust pipe separated from the mid-muffler pipe under the cabin ! We managed to not drag the front pipe too far before getting the car off the road & into a office building parking lot. Seems the muffler clamp that was replaced in the piston/ring repair had come undone. To their credit, Audi Sylvania brought the car back to their shop first thing Monday morning, replaced the now-missing muffler clamp, and had the car back in our driveway by 11am (also covered by warranty).

Now, after 600+ miles on new pistons/rings, our engine oil level is still at 100% according to the MMI display, which is good news, indeed.

Last edited by drgerafe; 12-29-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

I purchased the 2011 below with 99k miles (in spite of reading this thread) back in October. Drove it MI-FL round trip on a long weekend with no sign of oil loss. Finally had to add a 1/2 quart after 4000 miles. So far at 105k it is showing full. So either I got a "good one" or the problem was mostly resolved by 2011.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Just Finished Part 2

I purchased my 2011 Q5 2.0 with 29,000 miles on it. i realized right away it was burning about a quart of oil every 700 miles. after much research i saw it was a common problem with this particular engine.
I brought it right back to the dealer and they scheduled part 1 of the (OCT). i burned no oil for about 600 miles ... then it quickly went down and the light came on at around 1100 miles since part 1.
Part 2 was completed yesterday and i was told i need a new piston job. The service department was great and told me they are doing a piston job a week!!!
My worry is that the turbo and/or cylinders have been damaged. I have read that if damaged they have been replaced I love the car....Probably best car i ever Owned. Glad Audi is finally owning up to this problem. Will update the feed on my final result
Update****
After the Piston Job i have over 1,000 miles and have not lost a drop of oil. I was told the cylinders and the turbo were not damaged and there is a 2 year 20 thousand mile warranty on all work. Total cost to me 0!!!!

Last edited by rjnycQ5; 03-15-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

Hey thanks thats great news. I just had the piston kit done by Audi here in Germany.with this kit what is all included with this kit? pistons,rings, ???
Don

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!