B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Potential new owner seeking opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Potential new owner seeking opinions

Hello everyone-

Been lurking for a couple of weeks, reading all the great information you all share. I am looking for some honest feedback......

I'm considering an A4 Avant. Current DD is a 2006 Acura RL. Prior to that, I had two Volvo V70 wagons, the last one an "R". I loved the 300HP AWD car that could haul virtually everything. A great all around vehicle, except for the pesky reliability issues. We are a one car family, so relaibility is important. We also drive a lot (about 20-25K miles a year), so we are looking for something we enjoy being in for long periods of time. I traded those last two V70's with 200,000+ miles, and the RL has over 160K on it now. I do love the RL, it's fast, the AWD is really good, the gas mileage is acceptable, and it's quite comfortable on long trips. I would definately consider another one, but......... I find myself itching for a wagon again, and I also am looking for the "soul" of a European car. Don't need the space of a V70 sized vehicle, so the A4 Avant is what I've settled on, at least in my mind. From what I've read here, it seems I want to stay away from anything prior to the MY 2012 due to turbo issues, and the fact that the 8-speed transmission is a significant upgrade. Apart from that, what other things should I be wary about? Can I expect the A4 to be a reliable and trusty vehicle over several years and all those miles? What's been your your experiences over long trips and lots of miles? What has been the experience of B8 owners of cars with higher (100K +) miles?

I think I'd like the warranty of a CPO vehicle, so if anyone has any strong opinions about dealerships in the Boston area, I would certainly welcome those as well.

Costs will likely prevent me fron considering Prestige or even S-Line packages, so I am resigned to the fact my 300HP days may be coming to an end. But I want an AWD vehicle with some Euro feel and a little extra space.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.