B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Serious engine problems on my 2009 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Serious engine problems on my 2009 A4

Hi All,

today my engine died and went out with a bang in mid traffic. This is the second time I have engine problems. I have 15k miles on my 2009 A4 2.0T, so that's pretty unexpected.

The first time around the engine just died at a light. I had the music on and didn't even realize. When I hit the gas once the light turned green I was surprised nothing was moving until I realized the engine is off . This was in rush hour traffic on a major express way, so quite embarrassing. A bit further down at the next light, the same happened again. Now the EPC light came on and I slowly drove the car another 2 miles to the dealership. I got the car back the next day with a strange explanation about a dirty cam cover that needed cleaning or something bizarre like that.

Now half a year later my engine completely died today and when out with a bang. I waited at a light, hit the gas and I heard a loud bang. After that, the engine was totally dead. No smells, leaks or fumes though.

I got it towed right away to the garage. It's Sunday so no one will look at it until tomorrow. Any ideas what's going on with my engine? Does anyone have similar experiences? I do drive the car in sports mode a lot (why else is it there?), but not like a maniac and I gave it a decent break-in time.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine failure..

Hey, Esandes-- where are you when we need you??? I just smoked some more crack-- and here we have ANOTHER case of Audi's stupendous reliability and quality of production!!! A 1 year old car with only 15,000 miles on it and the engine pukes not once-- but TWICE and requires a tow-in for repair. I'm going to rush right down and buy me one of these cars so I can participate in the true pride of ownership of such a high quality vehicle!!!!

Sorry guys--I JUST couldn't help myself!

I am truly sorry for the hassle of this poster. I hope you get your car back ASAP and repair is not too expensive.

I will never do this again-- but I just couldn't help taking a poke at Esandes...

peace..... (HA!)

Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SiliconValleyA4
Hi All,

I got it towed right away to the garage. It's Sunday so no one will look at it until tomorrow. Any ideas what's going on with my engine? Does anyone have similar experiences? I do drive the car in sports mode a lot (why else is it there?), but not like a maniac and I gave it a decent break-in time.
I just got off the phone with Audi. The engine is toast. Some random timing issue destroyed it. At least it will be replaced with a brand new egine under warranty. I just won't have my car for a while.

Is this just a random one in a million thing or did anyone else experience this or something similar?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

i call BS. show pics.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
i call BS. show pics.
Do you think I made this up? I will be happy to show you the documentation when I get the car back from the shop. I have better things to do that making up stories of my car breaking down.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SiliconValleyA4
I just got off the phone with Audi. The engine is toast. Some random timing issue destroyed it. At least it will be replaced with a brand new egine under warranty. I just won't have my car for a while.

Is this just a random one in a million thing or did anyone else experience this or something similar?
Never heard of anything like this. At least its covered under warranty, you get a brand new engine instead of a 15,000 mile one.

Hey, Esandes-- where are you when we need you??? I just smoked some more crack-- and here we have ANOTHER case of Audi's stupendous reliability and quality of production!!! A 1 year old car with only 15,000 miles on it and the engine pukes not once-- but TWICE and requires a tow-in for repair. I'm going to rush right down and buy me one of these cars so I can participate in the true pride of ownership of such a high quality vehicle!!!!
Why are you trolling? Didn't you buy a Toyota Matrix or something already?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Trolling-- Guilty As Charged!

I know-- I'm bad! I apologize, ValidA4, but Esandes was such a childish jerk to me on another thread (I guess he just can't accept the reality of Audi quality and reliability) that I got frisky and just coudn't resist taking a cheap shot-- even though it was fun! I will go away and never return, I promise.

On what car I finally bought-- the wife talked me into getting a Panamera (wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that SHE will be the prinicple user!) last week. Found a used one for a pretty good price so I went for it. Lot more money, but you only live once, I guess. Plenty of room for four and seems to be a quality vehicle and very good performance.

Good luck to you all!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

norton, you're absolutely retarded so i find it hard to believe that you can even afford a panamera. so you must be a lawyer. you call me childish because i'm brutally honest in pointing out your faults. but if you actually did get one, congrats. my wife loves them even though i'd rather get a cayenne.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

haha you hate Audi and German cars so much that you bought a car from the same company - that's smart. Why couldn't you have just bought a ricer and buffed your tailpipe with the rest on a Camry forum?

Last edited by ADK_audi; 12-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

I have heard of some crazy things happening like this with Audi’s. A good friend of mine just bought a brand new S5 drove it for five days and the engine blew. Comes to find out the dealership never put enough engine oil in the car and the oil light never came on. They tried pulling some bs too by trying to make her pay for some fee or something. Messed with the wrong person tho she is a Fairfield ct lawyer and threatened to sue they ended up give her a new car and a free extended warranty.

Quick Reply: Serious engine problems on my 2009 A4