B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SgtSteve
We just got wifey a certified pre-owned Audi A4, 2011 with 21,000 miles on the odometer.
Of course it's a beautiful vehicle, nice handling, smooth, comfortable.
I was shocked to read the posts on oil comsumption on the forum and now add to "shocked" the word "aggravated".
For a vehicle of this level I don't care what the problem is, there should not be a recurrence.
Short tirade here: I have a 2005 Harley Fat Boy. Started to have "oil problems" at about 20,000 miles. Harley said "ah we expect most twin 88s will use a quart of oil every 1,000 to 2,000 miles and that's not unordinary".
So I accepted that explanation even though it sounded ridiculous.
THen, thankful for another forum I learned that there was a service bulletin that had the fix explained: the valve stem seals were "bad" and had to be replaced with another seal of different base material.
Believe it or not I wrote to and talked to the right hand guy for the CEO at Harley Davidson. I got it fixed and the fix was and is good. But, no way should consumers have to take this trip down the road.
Thanks to all of you and I will monitor the situation.
Sgt Steve
As you can see from a lot of posts on this topic it seems that a lot of owners have been lulled into believing that oil usage is normal. In fact if you were to check your oil every 500 miles you will see that they all use oil to some degree. Some will say their car does not burn a drop but I don't believe it. Recommended oil change is at 5000 miles. I believe the book says 5 Liters of oil (4.7 qts.) but almost everyone puts in 5 quarts. So if you check the oil at 3000 miles and the MMI says it is full then you think it is not using. If you check it with an aftermarket dip stick you will see it is almost full. My bet is the avg. oil usage is around 1/2 to 1 quart per 5000 miles. As to the stories of bad parts just think how many engines have been built after the "bad" parts were found and yet they still use oil. So it is a design problem and if you use the avg. then it is not a problem. If you burn a quart at 1000 miles then jump all over Audi to fix it or trade it in and someone will buy it without knowing what they are in for. Good luck but carry a quart in your trunk.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Aftermarket oil dipstick? Jagtoes

This is just one of the reasons I like the forums. Info both giving and getting.

Where and how do you get an aftermarket oil dipstick? I'd definitely get one.

Sgt Steve

Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

This is just one of the reasons I like the forums. Info both giving and getting.

Sgt Steve

Here is what I bought 06E115611H - Engine Oil Dipstick - ES#280765

Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks jagtoes

I have it marked and I'm gonna' do a search on Amazon and ebay. I'm a cheapo...well maybe "frugal".

And you're gonna' laugh at this: so we've had the car a couple of weeks. I went through the different goodies and of course checking the oil on "the screen" was one of those processes. If I recall accurately it was like somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 or 90% on the graph. OK?

Just this past Monday I had the Audi at the dealership for a wheel repair. Drove home. Went through a few more goodies and...the oil graph is 100%.
Hey, maybe it's me! Now I'm wondering...while I was at the stealership I asked about the oil consumption thing...do you think they "topped it off"? Hmmm we shall see. Suspect. I guess that's what's meant by the Ugly American.

Sgt Steve

Old 09-08-2014, 05:05 PM
1st Gear
Default MPG impact

Anybody know how the Part 2 oil consumption fix impacts MPG?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

I have it marked and I'm gonna' do a search on Amazon and ebay. I'm a cheapo...well maybe "frugal".

And you're gonna' laugh at this: so we've had the car a couple of weeks. I went through the different goodies and of course checking the oil on "the screen" was one of those processes. If I recall accurately it was like somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 or 90% on the graph. OK?

Just this past Monday I had the Audi at the dealership for a wheel repair. Drove home. Went through a few more goodies and...the oil graph is 100%.
Hey, maybe it's me! Now I'm wondering...while I was at the stealership I asked about the oil consumption thing...do you think they "topped it off"? Hmmm we shall see. Suspect. I guess that's what's meant by the Ugly American.

Sgt Steve
If you brought it to the dealer they topped it up. Common practice which gives you a false impression that you have one of the lucky cars. Keep an eye on it.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

I never got back here for an update. AOA declined to extend my warranty. The next day I contacted a lemon lawyer. This was probably last November. I signed a few papers and in January the lawyers called with a settlement - which I took. I recommend everyone with this problem contact a lawyer. Maybe if it hits Audi harder in the pocketbook more will be done on their part.

Two weeks later I traded the Audi in for a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring. I know..... I hated SUVs too. But with its wide stance it actually handles well. And with a 3 year old and lots of trips it was time to get something bigger. I took the whole Audi problem as an excuse to make the change and I'm glad I did.

My wife has a 2009 Honda CRV she bought new and nothing ever goes wrong with that car. So I was ready for something reliable.

On a side note, have no fear - I still have my 2003 BMW 325ci convertible (stick shift) to compensate for the SUV.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Sgt Steve
Esctuning.com for dipstick. First thing I bought for the car.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by LemonLaw
Anybody know how the Part 2 oil consumption fix impacts MPG?
Didn't change mine at all. Have the whole new top end in the car now for 10k miles. MPG on recent 1000 mile trip was 31 mpg.

Using no oil now, like all my other VW 4 turbos, satisfied with Audi stepping up and fixing it.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption