TDI coming to US?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: TDI coming to US?

Vw stopped using the disels in 06 or 07 because of emissions issues. Diseils are bad *** thou. Way better than a hybrid. Both audi and vw are supposed to be getting disiels soon.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

I think current hybrids are silly.
Why have a weak gas motor assisted by electic?
Especially when theyare only efficient around town.
I thinkthey need to concentrate onan electric drivetrain that gets electricity generated by a small (lawnmower or motorcycle size) engine and batteries.
I dunno, could work, maybe...
Al

Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM
3rd Gear

Props on bringing the old post back to life...

Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 PM

btw, it would be very difficult to make a tdi and a hybrid combo. The reason for this i found out on tdiclub.com forum is that the on/off of the petrol motor would kill the turbo very quickly. And they can't make a diesel without turbo because it would be as fast as a lawnmower and not fuel efficient enough to pass epa tests. However, i actually joined this forum because i wanna buy a A3 2.0T TDIwhich i hope will come stateside in late 08. I know that in europe they have the vw running 2.0T TDI and pumping out 147 hp and like 190 tq which is a big *** improvement over the A4 chassis which had a 1.9T and gave 90 hp and 150ish tq. plus the A3 looks bad *** compared to any v-dub

Old 06-16-2007, 06:17 PM

my girlfriend has an 04 jetta tdi and i hated jettas altogether b4 then. her car is the on gas and reliability, plus i got it up to 125 on the highway with 800 rpms to go. supposedky it does 132mph. im getting about 38.6 mpg. best car ive ever driven but cant afford one of my own.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

The new VW Jetta's (that will meet future US emissions) are going to be out in January 2008 I believe. They are going to use some of the bluetec diesel technology that Mercedes developed, but not use the "bluetec" name at all to disuade association with Mercedes.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Flip

I am not a big fan of diesels so personally I hope they don't bring it to the United States.

i mean to me it dont matter if they bring it or not but down deap i dont like diesels cause i owned a jetta that was a diesel it would sound like a semi truck but thats a jetta and i guess ever since then i dont really care for diesels..

Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

I think Audi was intending on sending over some TDI models, but the U.S. put out a new brand of emissions standards and the new wave of TDI's didn't meet them.

We have two VW's, a 2003 Jetta wagon .tdi, and the other a 2006 Jetta .tdi sedan. Both get over 50mpg. Unfortunately, diesel is more expensive than gas in NC, which is just plum irritating.

If Audi sends over a TDI version of the A5, I'm pouncing on it. The U.S. certainly needs to begin embracing diesel over hybrids, especially with biodiesel in such an uprise.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:51 AM
1st Gear

I drive a 2007 A3 TDI. The thing ROCKS!

For emissions, Audi is leading the way and with the high energy density of diesel I get 900km of highway driving on a 55l tank of diesel. If it's mixed use with some heavy acceleration, I'm still getting 700KM no problem. Inside the car it is quite with a sweet sound of turbo when you really lean on it. And then...TORQUE! It just pulls and pulls from the line! Throw on the DSG and it's nirvana.

As a Canadian, I have some of the bias against diesel...my dad had a rabbit back in the early eighties..the smell and the rattle But things have really changed. Another advantage is that here in Taiwan gas stations can get pretty busy and you have to wait forever...unless you have a TDI bad boy..no lines here in Taiwan for diesel.

Another way to put it is this. My old car was a Toyota Yaris hatchback (2007). It had a 1.5l gas engine, and in city driving, I got 350km on a 45 litre tank. And that car had only 106BHP, no torque! It was so weak using the AC added about 20% to fuel use! Now, on a 55 litre tank of diesel (Which costs less than 45litres of gas) I can go at LEAST twice as far. If you have the chance, get the 2.0TDI. You really really really won't regret it!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

I personally think that the hybrids would work much better with the diesel technology. You can still modify to get the best out of the diesel engine, but save money and fuel with the hybrid option. You'd get the best of both worlds. Economy all of the time and power when you need it!

Cheers!
have you seen the mercedes s400 blutec hybrid 0 60 in 7 seconds and 41mpg

Quick Reply: TDI coming to US?