Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Default 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V No Spark

Hello all I'm new to Audi's and just bought this car. When I went to look at the car a week ago it started and ran good. It then sat for four days and the temperature here got really cold, really fast. I didn't want to drive it around without giving it a good tuneup. Now the Audi won't start, it has no spark and I don't think the rotor is turning. I took the cap off and cranked the engine, when I looked at the rotor it was still in the same position (pointing straight up), does the rotor always stop in this position? Or is it really not turning? I'm also wondering if the rotor just pulls off or if theres a trick to getting it off? I also discovered that the PO filled the coolant system with water which is now frozen solid, I'm hoping this hasn't caused some major problems. Anyways any input is appreciated. Thanks all,
Abram

Old 12-28-2006, 02:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V No Spark

ORIGINAL: ahardy4

Hello all I'm new to Audi's and just bought this car. When I went to look at the car a week ago it started and ran good. It then sat for four days and the temperature here got really cold, really fast. I didn't want to drive it around without giving it a good tuneup. Now the Audi won't start, it has no spark and I don't think the rotor is turning. I took the cap off and cranked the engine, when I looked at the rotor it was still in the same position (pointing straight up), does the rotor always stop in this position? Or is it really not turning? I'm also wondering if the rotor just pulls off or if theres a trick to getting it off? I also discovered that the PO filled the coolant system with water which is now frozen solid, I'm hoping this hasn't caused some major problems. Anyways any input is appreciated. Thanks all,
Abram
For the spark issue, it could be a few things, but go over your connections first, i had a problem with mine. Also an ignition module and wouldnt be bad idea to go over your ignition switch. The rotor has a holder held on by 1 or 2 bolts, cant remember. To remove it, it has gears on the bottom which angle, so just twist and pop her off. It should be easy to come off. As for the frozen water, it should be too bad since water doesnt get any bigger when it freezes, still a pain....

Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

For your spark, get a test light and start troubleshooting the problem. Thats your best bet to diagnosese the problem, how are your wires and plugs?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 AM

if the rotor isn't turning at all either the distributor is bad and the gear is worn or you have a snapped timing belt